Trail suggestions and hiking tips:
Bernese Oberland, Jungfrau region
Graubünden, St. Moritz
Preparation and safety
Switzerland tourist forum
Murren - Grutschalp: Which direction
the topic is closed
May 17, 2011 09:01:42 AM
We will be staying in Wengen and I am planning a day trip to include:
Gondola ride down to Stechelberg (I hear its pretty scary)
Visit to Murren
Visit to Gimmelwald? Not sure if its worth the detour
Initially, I had planned to go to Lauterbrunnen, walk to Stechelberg, take the gondola down for the thrill, then back up to Murren, up to Schilthorn, back to Murren, walk to Grutschalp, then back to Wengen.
However, this means we won't see the Schilthorn until mid-day or possibly early afternoon. I understand clouds can roll in - so I wonder if I shouldn't do Schilthorn first thing?
Is the walk from Murren to Grutschalp or Grutschalp to Murren better? Are views in both directions or in one direction?
Thanks for your help
May 17, 2011 11:29:54 AM
What a beautifull day trip! Yes, I would prefer to visit the Schilthorn rather early during the day.
My personal advice would be:
1. Check the wheather forecast for the day you want to make this trip.
2. Start early.
3. Lauterbrunnen, take Gondola to Grütschalp.
4. Walk from Grütschalp to Mürren (to me this is the direction with the better views!).
5. Gondolas from Mürren to Schilthorn (on a beautiful day the view from the Schilthorn is magnificent!).
6. Gondolas from Schilthorn to Stechelberg (the last section down is not that scary... to me that is, rather than scary: it's amazing!).
7. Postbus Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen. Stop at Trümmelbachfalls if you think you have time to visit the falls (they are really impressive).
8. (Postbus to Lauterbrunnen). One of the stops of the Postbus is quite near to the Staubbachfalls (just ask the driver where to get out of the bus).
9. From there you can easily walk to Lauterbunnen station (about 15 minutes walking).
10. Lauterbrunnen station to Wengen.
This might be the best option. You will miss the nice and easy walk from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg, but I guess you wouldn't miss it in the overall experience of the day.
edited by Wandermann on May 17, 2011
Groet - Grüessech - Greetings,
May 17, 2011 06:51:44 PM
Hi, You have a great day planned, though to me sounds very full. Murren to Grutschalp is spectacular and down hill!! You can spend lots of time at Schilthorn if it is a nice day. Tourist office in Lauterbrunnen was helpful. Enjoy!!
the topic is closed
2002 - 2013
MySwissAlps.com is a travel guide for your summer holidays in Switzerland