Eurail Global Pass
The Eurail Global Pass is ideal for those who intend to explore more than 5 European countries. It provides free and unlimited 1st class train travelling throughout Europe and several discounts on boat services and tourist attractions. Some shipping lines can even be used for free. The Eurail Global Pass offers ease of use: you are free to go wherever you want and don't have to buy tickets each time you make a trip. The pass is valid for most Swiss trains as well, including special trains such as the Bernina Express, Heidi Express and Glacier Express (only part of the journey). A discounted Eurail Global Pass can be purchased in case you travel with two or more people. An economical 2nd class Eurail Global Pass is available for youths.
View other European rail passes
Eurail Global Pass features
- valid for 15 days, 21 days, 1 month, 2 months or 3 months.
Overview of the Swiss network on which the Eurail Global Pass is valid © Eurail;
- unlimited train travelling in 24 European countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland (includes Northern Ireland), Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and The Netherlands;
- convenient travelling in 1st class;
- free travel on selected boats (Lake Geneva, Lake Lucerne, Lake Thun, Lake Brienz, Lake Zürich, Lake Biel, river Aare and river Rhine) and many scenic trains (e.g. Bernina Express, Golden Pass Line and Voralpen Express);
- discounted travel (25-50%) on selected lifts and cog trains: Bürgenstock, Gornergrat, Jungfrau, Pilatus, Rigi, Stanserhorn and Titlis;
- a 50% discount applies on Eurail Global Passes for children from 4 up to and including 11 years old;
- children up to and including 3 years old travel for free;
- a discount applies when purchasing a Eurail Global Pass for 2 or more people: Eurail Saver Pass;
- discount rates for people up to and including 25 years old: Eurail Youth Pass;
- the Eurail Global Pass is only available to non-European citizens.
Not included in the Eurail Global Pass
- seat reservations and surcharges;
- urban transportation;
- most mountain transportation services (exceptions are listed above);
- the rail section Zermatt - Brig - Disentis (Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn), which is part of the Glacier Express route. However, a discount of 25% is offered to holders of the Eurail Global Pass who would like to travel with the Glacier Express. Discounted tickets can only be purchased in Switzerland. Seat reservations can be purchased online (early reservation is recommended).
- the rail section Andermatt-Göschenen (Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn). You will receive a discount of 25%. Discounted tickets can only be purchased in Switzerland.
Please note that services not listed above are not necessarily included in the pass. If you need any services that are not included in the Eurail Global Pass, please review the alternative rail passes.
Variants of the Eurail Global Pass
The Eurail Global Saver Pass can be used by two or more people travelling together. A discount applies on the regular Eurail Global Pass prices. Other than this, the Eurail Global Saver Pass offers the same features as the Eurail Global Pass. Please note that you need to travel together all the time.
The Eurail Youth Pass is a good choice for those up to and including 25 years old. The pass offers travelling in 2nd class. Other than this, the Eurail Youth Pass offers the same features as the Eurail Global Pass.
Is the Eurail Global Pass not exactly what you are looking for? The following rail passes might fit your needs:
How to purchase a Eurail Global Pass
- Prices and purchase options for the Eurail Global Pass can be found in the upper right corner of this page;
- the Eurail Global Pass can also be purchased at larger train stations in Europe. Please note that prices in Europe vary per sales outlet and are considerably higher (+20% on average) than a purchase prior to your departure. Therefore these prices are not included in the price overview on this page. Please contact the local railway company for more information about purchasing the Eurail Global Pass in Europe;
- the Eurail Global Pass can not be purchased by residents of Europe. In most cases, the best alternative is an Interrail Pass;
- when you purchase a Eurail Global Pass, you need to posses the passport or identity document that you will take along while travelling.
More about the Eurail Global Pass
Where to buy your Eurail Global Pass