1 day in Lucerne; 3 in Kandersteg and Grindelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2011 at 2:41:40 #804627

I am looking for a list of the must-see for 1st-timers in this region.

We have all of Monday in Lucerne and then drive (we have rented a car to maximize our short time in Switzerland) to overnight in Kandersteg.
    Tuesday and Wednesday we sleep there.
    Wednesday night we overnight in Grindelwald and return to Kloten for a Thursday night flight home.

I would very much like to hear your thoughts of the sites we must see and on what day, given our lodging.

Many thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    18 August 2011 at 4:56:00 #833946

Hello zimmee! All three towns are beautiful, so you’ve made a good choice for your first stay in Switzerland. While in Lucerne, a boat trip over the lake would be nice. If weather is fine, you could combine this with a ride up to a viewing point, such as Pilatus or Rigi.

In Kandersteg, you could pay a visit to the Oeschinensee. Several hikes can be made in this region as well. The list of activities that are worthwile in Grindelwald is very long, as there are many great cable car and mountain train trips to be made. This day trip overview of the Bernese Oberland may be of help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2011 at 4:59:23 #833947

Thanks so much; you reinforce my itinerary!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2011 at 14:19:04 #833948

My i ask you for driving suggestions from lucerne to kandersteg, kandersteg to interlaken, grindelwald to kloten? I am interested in the most scenic routes. Thank you!

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    23 August 2011 at 6:54:12 #833949

Hello zimmee,

The normal routes (following the road signs) are very nice. But I have two suggestions that might add something:

1. Lucerne – Kandersteg: Hergiswil – Sarnen – Lungern – Brünig.
    After descending the (easy) Brünig Pass and near Brienzwiler do not follow the road signs to Interlaken (along the A8) but go to Brienz instead.
    In that case you proceed to Interlaken along the north side of lake Brienz. This is a good road and you will go through some lovely villages.

2. Kandersteg – Interlaken: after passing Kandersteg turn right near Mülenen (after petrol station) and follow the signs for Aeschi and Krattigen. You will reach the A8 near Leissigen. This is a beautiful route, with views on lake Thun from a higher altitude.

Wishing you a very nice stay,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2011 at 6:56:34 #833950

Thanks Wandermann; sounds great! Will follow your suggestion…

• The thread ‘1 day in Lucerne; 3 in Kandersteg and Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.