1 week Spiez

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2014 at 12:01:22 #806601

Hello,

My husband and I (and our one year old daughter) plan to spend 1 week in Spiez from the 24th to 31st October 2014. We plan to do a fee day trips to places such as the alps, Schilthorn, Bern and possibly Gruyeres.

I think a Swiss Card will be the best value for us (but not entirely sure). So a few questions –

1. Can we enter And leave Switzerland from different places and still get the free transfer ticket?

2. How would I go about booking our arrival and departure trains? Should I book a separate ticket from Paris to Basel then use the Swiss Card from Basel to Spiez? And likewise would I book the train from Spiez to Venice at once, or the Spiez to border ticket separately?

3. Is there a discount for booking 2 tickets at once? And any other discounts for passes in the low season?

4. Are you able to tell me which trains/cable lines will be closed in the Bernese Oberland during this time (since it is low season)?

thanks very much

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    25 August 2014 at 11:30:55 #840906

Hi Bilby88,

1. Yes you can, see here.

2. You would book a ticket from Paris to Basel. From there, you take the first available train to Spiez. You don’t need to book Swiss domestic trains in advance (see here).

3. You can get a discount if you book your tickets and passes before August 27. This promotion, and the ones that may be available in the future can be found on the promotion page.

4. I don’t have a full list, but almost all transport is included in the online timetable, so you can check it there. Also we have links to schedules on all of our pages about such destinations. A link to the boat schedules, for example, can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakethun.

See this guide for how to choose between passes.

I hope this helps! If questions remain, just let us know.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2014 at 12:56:02 #840907

Thanks for that info.

So how would I go about leaving spiez to go to Venice? Would I book a direct ticket to Milan, or would I have to use my Swiss Card for a train to Brig and then buy a separate ticket for Brig to Milan?

Arno
    15481 posts
    25 August 2014 at 13:11:28 #840908

Hi Bilby88,

A Swiss Card includes free traveling until Domodossola (see the map at the Swiss Card page). So you need a ticket from there to Milan or Venice. Additionally you may need seat reservations as this is an international trip, see the second link in my previous post.

• The thread ‘1 week Spiez’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.