Does a Visa issued debit card work in Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2017 at 19:01:51 #811288

Gosh the thread was closed. I just haven’t had time to get back to it. I have a quick question today. Debit cards in Switzerland. Our debit card is a Visa issued by our local bank, is that okay? We have always used it but I read something that caused concern. Also, is there a percentage rate charged by the ATM at a Swiss bank to use your debit card? My first thread was simply – 10 day itinerary first of May 2017-next step, hoping to pick that up here. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 April 2017 at 15:03:37 #861054

Welcome back Travelplannr,

I don’t know that specific card, you can best ask Visa directly to be sure. Debit cards with a Maestro logo work fine, that’s what I use myself. I don’t think the costs of an ATM withdrawal depend on the Swiss bank, but on your own bank. So it’s Visa who sets the rates for that, and they should be able to explain about exact amounts/percentages.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2017 at 3:00:44 #861055

Thank you for responding. You made the point that raised my question. I read about the Maestro logo. Our card does not have that. One article stated that the Maestro label was needed. But I also read that simply Visa and MasterCard debit cards are widely accepted. We know what our bank would charge to use the debit card/Visa, but we read that the bank that owned the ATM machine you use charges a percentage, yet the article goes on to say that Switzerland is an exception and does not charge a fee. I can copy the link where I found that information. I wasn’t sure about copying that link here.

Sometimes the more I read the less I know:)

We are getting close to our trip. I hope to have time to post some final questions before we leave. Right now in caregiver mode! Thank you for your time and interest in helping us make our Switzerland trip the best that it can be!

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 April 2017 at 7:02:59 #861056

Yes, I understand these things can be confusing! And unfortunately I don’t have all the answers. Visa should have all the answers though. I can’t imagine a debit card from a big brand like that would not work in Switzerland, but only they can tell for sure, and also about the fees. The only thing I am sure can cause an issue is a (US) credit card without PIN technology. Many shops don’t accept that because of security risks. Feel free to post the link here if you think it’s helpful for others.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 April 2017 at 1:04:56 #861057

Hi travlplanner-

My Visa debit card from Chase Bank works fine in Switzerland. So does one from Citizens Bank ( a New England regional bank).

On the next issue- rates, fees, exchange rates….too complex to deal with here.

At least, you can be aured that a VISA debit card will work…unless they don’t know that your bank exists, which is unlikely. 😉 As Arno pointed out….VISA is the key point.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2017 at 22:15:49 #861058

Thank you for sharing and getting it all straightened out for me!

• The thread ‘Does a Visa issued debit card work in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.