10 day Swiss visit, which pass/es should I buy?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 September 2016 at 19:43:57 #810163

Hi there,

I wanted to get your opinion on which travel pass or combination of travel passes I should buy for a 10 day trip. I will be arriving at Zurich airport on Friday Oct 7, and will take the train directly to Lucerne. I plan on visiting Mount Rigi and Mount Titlis while I am in Lucerne for 3 days. After that I have left the trip a bit open due to the unpredictable weather, but my goal is to stay in and or visit Grindelwald, Murren, and Wengen for the next 3 days. After that I will go to Montreux for two days (maybe a boat trip during one day), with one day trip to Gruyeres/Broc. For the last two days I will go back to Zurich, with one short visit to Appenzell.

SO, that’s a busy trip but I am looking forward to the challenge. I see that I can only buy the Swiss Travel pass for 8 or 15 days. Would you suggest I buy the 8 days, then pay as I go for the last two days (Montreux to Zurich, Zurich/Appenzell, Zurich to Zurich airport)? Or is there a supplement pass that I should buy that could save me money on those last two days? Any advice would be most appreciated!

Many thanks! Meghan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 September 2016 at 7:03:56 #856232

Hi Meghan, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Indeed an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass would be a good choice. It includes the Mount Rigi trip for free, as well as rides to Grindelwald, Mürren, Wengen and a lot more. On the first day you can buy a regular single ticket to Lucerne. On the last day in Zurich you can pay as you go as you suggested, or look into the ZurichCARD if you plan to stay in town and visit some museums, or see if there are any guided tours with transportation included that interested you. This one, for example: http://www.viator.com/tours/Z urich/Switzerland-Mountains-Cheese-and-Chocolates-Tour-from-Zurich/d577-3885SW313BS. Please see:

As for the pass: you can print it at home to prevent spending time waiting for a ticket desk. Please visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees) within 1-3 business days, so don’t wait too long.

• The thread ‘10 day Swiss visit, which pass/es should I buy?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.