10 days, Chamonix and Swiss Alps itinerary

• Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    3 August 2015 at 19:41:57 #807682

Hello,

Having used this forum before, I know what a wonderful resource it is. For this trip, my adult daughter and I have included France into the mix and I am getting very confused! We have approximately 10 days to spend in Chamonix-SwissAlps-French Alps area starting Sept. 2. Toward the end of that time period we will be trying to meet up with husband and son (who are doing part of the walkers haute route from Chamonix to Arolla), before we 4 leave for the Geneva Airport. Before going to switzerland I hope to spend a night or two in Annecy as well and also do a day trip through the tunnel to Italy from Chamonix.

I am wondering how long to spend in each place and where would be a good rendezvous spot to meet up with husband for a couple days before flying home from Geneva. We loved staying in mountain villages but don’t want to spend more than 3 or 4 hours traveling to get to them. We like walking, sightseeing, cable cars ( Loved Murren in previous trip).I have been checking train schedules but don’t really know my destination yet!

I would like the trip to Geneva airport to be a relatively easy one!

Thank you in advance for any help. Vlasta

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 August 2015 at 0:42:44 #844983

<<“We like walking, sightseeing, cable cars ( Loved Murren in previous trip).I have been checking train schedules but don’t really know my destination yet!”>>

Is there not a famous quotation from Lewis Carrol (Through the Looking Glass) to the effect that- “if you don’t know where you are gong, any road will get you there?”

I suggest you start with some maps and pick likely looking places, as a way to begin the process.

Slowpoke

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 August 2015 at 10:28:27 #844984

Hello Vlasta!

I think your question has been addressed in your previous topic: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/haute-route-chamonix-to-zermatt. Some towns along the Haute Route, that may suit your needs, were mentioned there. Did you check Zermatt (http://www.myswissalps .com/zermatt) and Verbier for example? Both are situated beautifully and have lots of cable cars options which I think you’ll like. I’m not familiar with the French part. Studying the maps and exploring towns along the way could get you started.

Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    4 August 2015 at 12:45:48 #844985

Thank you , Annika,

I have done lots of research on maps and with time tables. We have already been to Zermatt, and Verbier is a possibility, but I am not sure which Verbier station to use when searching transportation, there are several. Please advise.

I was hoping someone has done a trip starting from Chamonix and eventually ending in Geneva. If we spend more time doing cable cars in Chamonix then we could go to a different locale for a few days for different sightseeing. I notice that transportation for the hikers coming from Arolla goes to Sion, and Martigny. Is there any reason to spend sightseeing time in one of those towns? We do like quaint towns and the historic centers of bigger cities. Can someone recommend someplace to stop over for a couple days between Martigny and Geneva airport? We have been to Montreux, but not Lausanne.

Thank you for your patience in helping me sort this out. Vlasta

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 August 2015 at 6:40:24 #844986

Hi Vlasta!

You’re certainly researching your options closely. As for Verbier: the post bus stop “Verbier, station poste” is the most central location. The other options point to sights in other parts of the village. These might work too, but that depends on where your (possible) accommodation in Verbier is situated. “Verbier TV” defines the cable car station connecting Verbier and Bagnes. This tip might be helpful: once you’ve picked a connection in the timetable, you can pick the “Map” option (at the bottom of the connection details). It will give you a detailed map showing where stations and bus stops are located. And did you check the Verbier tourism website? That will be a good resource. The same goes for Chamonix tourism and Martigny tourism.

The town center of Sion is certainly pretty, and I think you’ll enjoy exploring it (mind that it’s not in between Martigny and Geneva though). I’m not so sure about Lausanne: it’s quite large and city-like and, in general, less preferred by tourists than Montreux. You may want to include the Lavaux vineyards too. These previous topics can be helpful:

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 August 2015 at 13:24:40 #844987

The”wine train” from Vvevey to Puidoux won’t fill up much of a day. It is a short ride. But, it is well worth it. The views across the vineyards past Lausanne are very impressive. If you get the afternoon sunset, and can avoid shooting into the sun (not easy) the vineyrds practically glow in the light.

Lausanne is not a major tourist detination. However, the intrnational museum of the Olympics is there, and genrates good reports from those who are interrested in that sort of thing. Also, the water front at Ouchy has a batch of nice places to stay or eat, and a nice lakeside promenade. It is directly accessible from the main station via the new funicular.

Ouchy is very nice with lakeside activities and views., and has some distinctly over-priced tourist traps. Read reviews before you go

A friend took me to lunch there last year. I’ll ask him to remind me of the name of the one we chose, and the one(s) we avoided. [We were happy with Chateau d’Ouchy…turn left as you get off the funicular.]

The funicular that takes you down to Ouchy also goes up the hill above the main station.

If you spend much time in Lausanne, you’ll notice that the terrain is a bit steep.

Fribourg –

You might look at Fribourg, even though it is not on the direct line for you. I/we have stayed in Fribourg for a several nights, and visited many times. We like the old city, down by the river, which is mostly German speaking. Very photogenic. Lots of restaurants. The funicular down to the old town (and up) from the park, not far from the main railway station, was famous – may still be, although it has been rebuilt. It was a one-car funicular, and the counterweight was a tank of water, whose amount could be adjusted. It was city sewage water, and could only be noticed on rare occasions, depending on the direction of the breeze.

There is bus service from the main station to the plaza(s) in the old town.

I/we have walked 3 or 4 times from the old town through the Gotteron Schlucht almost to Ameismühle, turning up hill to the right (south then west) then over the fields on trails to le Bourgillon and back down into the old town. Definitely something different. Lots of nice views of the city, and the Jura on a clear day, and the trail through the Schlucht is fun.

• The thread ‘10 days, Chamonix and Swiss Alps itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.