1/2 price card and city bus/tram question

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2011 at 13:20:35 #804126

Hello,
    My mom and cousin are coming to see me in Geneva from the states. Along with going to Lucern, Bern and Interlaken (Lauterbrennan), they are going to stay with me for about a week. I’m planning on getting them both Half-fare cards for their train journeys. I know it says it also works for Geneva public transportation. Is this the demi-tariff button on the fare machines? Is it suppose to actually be half price? When I hit the demi-tariff button, the fare goes from 3CHF to 2.2CHF (not half), I’m just wondering if I’m missing something. Also, do you know how it works in Bern and Lucern? Thank you in advance! Linda

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 February 2011 at 9:12:12 #832198

Hi Linda. Welcome to the forum! Demi-tariff should indeed result in half the normal fare. However, I’ve heard that some regions including Geneva sometimes use higher prices. I don’t think they’re supposed to do so. You may want to ask local bus/tram personnel. The Swiss Half Fare Cards (there are several types, including the 1-month version for tourists) all work the same way throughout the country. In most cases, the ticketing machine has a button indicating “1/2” for the 50% reduced fare. Please review to the map we link to from our Swiss Half Fare Card page for details about train, boat and mountain transportation discounts. Buses and trams don’t fit on the map, but should be 50% reduced in the marked towns. But as said, there may be exceptions.

• The thread ‘1/2 price card and city bus/tram question’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.