14 Days Luzern-Lauterbrunnen-Zermatt in September

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 13:02:17 #812672

My husband and I (in our early 50s) are arriving in Zurich on 3 September – we like to think of ourselves as active and moderately fit – can do 1-2 hour walks as long as not too steep, want to enjoy the areas we visit without rushing around, not interested in night life – rather nature and awesome scenery…. Have debated car or train and would like to do a bit of both so we can stop and take in the scenery.

Our itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 – Arrive Zurich (staying in old town)

Day 2 -Zurich sightseeing

Day 3 – Train to Rheinfalls/Stein am Rhein – O/N Stein am Rhein pick up car

Day 4 – Drive to Appenzell area

Day 5 – Appenzell

Day 6 – Drive to Luzern – drop off car

Day 7 – Luzern

Day 8 – Luzern

Day 9 – Train to Lauterbrunnen

Day 10 -Lauterbrunnen

Day 11 – Lauterbrunnen

Day 12 – Lauterbrunnen

Day 13 – Train to Zermatt

Day 14 – Zermatt

Day 15 – Zermatt

Day 16 – Train from Zermatt to Lugano changing at Andermatt (regular train not GE)

Day 17 – Lugano

Day 18 – Lugano

Day 19 – Lugano

Day 20- – Lake Como

Day 21 – Lake Como

Day 22 – Milan

Day 23 – Leave Milan

1) Have we made the best use of our time?

2) Is Lauterbrunnen the best base for that area

3) We have our travel books which we are reading of what to do in the areas we have chosen – but is there an absolute must see.

4) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

So excited!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 16:33:25 #867082

Hi Aussiesteph and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Yes? Hard question to answer. You have chosen some very popular areas and towns to visit certainly! I like it. Click on the links on your post and mine below if you want to research more about what to do and where to stay in each town/area.

2. Lauterbrunnen is a good town as a base in the Jungfrau Region – excellent train connections. That being said Wengen also has a lot of fans, as does Mürren. Have a read through our member Kim’s post about Wengen and the Jungfrau Region – excellent read for more details.

3/4. I think the biggest “must-see” is the Jungfraujoch in the Jungfrau Region. Also I would try and add in a panoramic train if you can as well – perhaps the Glacier Express. You could do a section of the while route at least, between Zermatt and Andermatt, then transfer for a train to Lugano.

I hope this helps with your planning!

Lucas

• The thread ‘14 Days Luzern-Lauterbrunnen-Zermatt in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.