14 days in Wengen and still confused about a pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2012 at 5:30:17 #805348

We are travelling to Wengen at the end of July for 14 days of blissful Switzerland (our first visit). We will have a half price rail card as part of our package with Inghams but I am really confused about what other pass to get. In previous visits to Austria (in winter and summer) we have always purchased a go anywhere pass which meant we could hop on and off as we choose and never had to queue for tickets etc. I like the freedom of being able to decide that morning where to and if the weather is inclement we could ride the trains and cable cars. While looking at the Bernese pass it seems as though it is free for only 5 of the 15 days. Getting really confused. Can anyone help?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2012 at 23:44:02 #836358

I am confused too, especially when you don’t know exactly what you are going to do. I think it’s 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I think I’ll come out about the same if I used a half fair card or a BO pass and paid for my trips from/to the airport. Doing the JUngfrau or not determines what the cost will be. I’ll probably get the more expensive one and get more free days even if I pay a little more. 50 to 100 dollars isn’t that big a deal since I am travelling all the way over there.

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 June 2012 at 5:07:44 #836359

Hello leparkin! Generally, the Swiss Half Fare Card offers good value for its money. If you like the idea of free traveling, you could supplement it with another pass, but you should really try and calculate whether that’s worth your money. Yes, the 15 day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland offers 5 days of free traveling and 10 days with discounts (which are pretty similar to the discounts already provided by your Swiss Half Fare Card). Another option you may want to look into is the 6 day Jungfrau Railways Pass. That might be what you’re looking for.

Magentaspeaker: if you think you come out roughly the same with a Swiss Half Fare Card or the Regional-Pass, you may want to opt for the Swiss Half Fare Card as that covers the entire country and not only the Bernese Oberland.

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    9 June 2012 at 11:35:57 #836360

The Regional-Pass does indeed provide 5 days of free travel, but the expensive routes (such as Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn) are still only 50% off. So you will pay the same as you will with the Half Fare Card you already have. The “free” routes are the less expensive routes so the cost savings is highly unlikely to add up to the price of the Pass. You are mainly buying 5 days of “hop on hop off” during your 14 day holiday. I think that is quite a premium to pay for this convenience, but of course only you can decide! I have been to Wengen 15 times and traveled all over the region. I have never waited in line longer than 10 minutes to buy a train ticket. If you are going to multiple places in a single day (which is likely in this region of so much to see and do) you can buy all of your tickets at the same time — train, bus, boat, lift, gondola, etc. — from the same ticket window. In other words, when you leave Wengen in the morning, tell the train staff at the ticket window everywhere you plan to go that day and you can get all the tickets at the same time. Tickets are good for the entire day, not for a specific train, bus, etc. so you don’t have to work out your timing in advance.

The Jungfrau Railways Pass is good for 6 days and it includes the Schilthorn but still does not include the expensive trip up the Jungfraujoch.

Ao, as Arno suggests, look at these two cards and figure out if the price you will pay is worth the convenience.

I always just stick with the Half Fare card as I have found it provides the best value for the money.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2012 at 11:57:50 #836361

Thanks for the replies. I hadnt thought about the Jungfrau pass. As kim11 says I might just pay each day and use the half price ticket. Does the train station at Wengen take credit cards or just cash?
    Many thanks

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    9 June 2012 at 13:31:21 #836362

Yes, all the train stations take credit cards as do most of the restaurants, markets, etc. The Swiss are very good at separating you from your money! A little joke there. It is a very convenient and easy place to travel. Unlike some parts of the world, they are very welcoming to tourists and do whatever possible to make sure you have a pleasant holiday.

• The thread ‘14 days in Wengen and still confused about a pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.