14 Days Travel – Train Tickets

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2014 at 11:47:51 #806610

Hai,

Me and my wife (both are under 25 years old) are planning to travel to europe for 14 days. We are totally confused about the train journey. Please find below our itinerary and would really appreciate getting an advise to chose the most useful pass for us.

15th Sep 2014 – Arrive at Paris from Doha

18th Sep 2014 – Paris to Geneva

20th Sep 2014 – Geneva to Interlaken

23rd Sept 2014 – Interleken to Zurich

24th Sept 2014 – Zurich to Salzburg by train or to Vienna by Air since Train journey takes too long

25th Sep 2014 – Salzburg to Vienna (If 24th plan is to take train to Salzburg)

So my concerns are,

1. Point to Point tickets with cost me around GBP 550 by train.

2. Second option is, Take a point to point ticket from Paris to Geneva and take 4 days SWISS pass and Air ticket to Vienna which will cost me around GBP 560

3. Third Option is to go for Inter Rail global pass for 15 days which seems cheaper EUR 530

I will travel from Interlaken to Lucerne, Jungfrau.. and near by places in SWISS, Travelling with in Austria and one day trip to prague. Does interrail connects to all these cities? or should i really get a SWISS pass? Could anyone please advise which pass should I buy?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    27 August 2014 at 17:46:27 #840951

Welcome to MySwissAlps ramshid! Which pass turns out best, can only be calculated based on a fixed list of plans. Our guide explains how to do so. If that’s too complex, you should make an educated guess. As for your itinerary: you should definitely use a rail pass. You intend to include some long and expensive journeys and costly mountain transportation, so costs for regular tickets add up quickly. Note that Interrail passes are for European residents only. Your options are:

1. The Eurail Austria-Switzerland pass, offering traveling on 4 to 10 days in Austria and Switzerland, plus single tickets from Paris to Geneva and a ticket to Prague. Information on how to book cheap TGV tickets is here. The Eurail Austria-Switzerland pass would cover the entire train journey from Zurich to Salzburg. By the way, that’s a very scenic and comfortable direct route, if you pick the RailJet connection via Feldkirch and St. Anton. Details can be found in the timetable.

Do mind that this Eurail pass doesn’t offer the same amount of free traveling and discounts in Switzerland as a Swiss Pass does. For example, all trips from Interlaken towards the Jungfrau region are 25% off, whereas the Swiss Pass offers free traveling as far as Mürren, Wengen and Grindelwald. Please find details on the Eurail pass (how it works, where it’s valid, prices and promotions) here.

2. A 4 day Swiss Saver Pass. This would provide most flexibility for your trips from September 20 to 23. All information on prices, promotions and validity is listed here. Additionally you’d again need tickets from Geneva to Paris and to Prague. Whether or not it’s worth getting an extra pass for your stay in Austria depends on your exact plans, including the matter of train versus flight to Salzburg.

I hope this helps you decide!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2014 at 18:21:09 #840952

Thank you Annika for the detailed explanation.

Considering my journey, I think its cheaper and better to get a one way ticket from Paris – Geneva, a 4 days swiss pass (20th Sep to 23rd sep which I can travel from Geneva to Interlaken, Interlaken to Zurich and nearby places) and one way ticket from Zurich to Vienna / Salzburg. That is much cheaper than getting a Eurail pass which is very expensive.

• The thread ‘14 Days Travel – Train Tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.