Leukerbad to Bern in 1904, hike the Gemmi or …?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 2:16:06 #812519

In 1904, if a traveler wanted to go from Leukerbad to Bern, what were the options and how long would each take?

If the traveler hiked the Gemmi Pass to Kandersteg, how often did the train to Bern leave and how long was the trip?

if the traveler did not hike the Pass, how would he have traveled? Carriage to Leuk for how long? What trains and what timeframe from Leuk to Bern?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2017 at 10:55:56 #866251

Hi Idali and welcome to MySwissAlps!

A good question and not something we get asked very often!

1903 was a few years before the Lötschbergtunnel opened, so I would guess the Gemmi pass was indeed the obvious shortcut in summer, or else a long detour.

Perhaps another member knows more about it.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 15:16:11 #866252

Lucas, thank you.

What are the worst time and worst conditions one could have ridden horseback over the trail in 1904?

Can you give me a guess how long it might have taken?

if you travel from Kandersteg to Bern by rail today, how long would it take?

Also, if you traveled from Leukerbad to Bern now, not using the tunnel,how would you go and how long might it take?

Thank you!

Arno
    15482 posts
    12 July 2017 at 15:58:42 #866253

Hi Idali,

1. Well, the worst possible conditions I can image is a snow storm at night time. But no doubt the pass was inaccessible back then in winter. Today it’s open for hikers even in winter.

2. Leukerbad to Bern on foot? My guess is 20 hours or so.

3. About 2 hours, please see the timetable.

4. If you enter Montreux in the “Via” box of the timetable you’ll get the alternate route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 19:03:43 #866254

Thanks! Any idea how long by horseback on a snowy night, Leukerba, (before the Gemmi paths were built) to Bern? Also, when were the rails in and out of Montreaux built?

Arno
    15482 posts
    20 July 2017 at 6:37:03 #866255

You’re welcome! Sorry, I have no clue about your other questions to be honest. Perhaps someone else will respond.

• The thread ‘Leukerbad to Bern in 1904, hike the Gemmi or …?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.