Is there 1st class on all Swiss trains?

Is there 1st class on all Swiss trains?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
livkid1
livkid1
3 posts
Mar 26, 2016 - 3:26 PM

Are there 1st class seats or compartments available on all Swiss trains.? I am using a third party to do my booking and getting a 1st class 4day Swill Rail Pass and they have me travelling in 2nd class from the Zurich airport to Lucerne

Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
Mar 26, 2016 - 5:32 PM

Hi livkid1, welcome to MySwissAlps!

1st class compartments are typically available in all regular trains, not in buses and mountain trains. It's explained here. 1st class seats are definitely available between Zurich and Lucene, so I'm not sure why your booking agency comes up with 2nd class seats for this route. They may assume you need seat reservations, but note that this isn't the case. Seat reservations are hardly necessary in Swiss trains and this also applies to Zurich-Lucerne. With a 1st class Swiss Travel Pass, you can simply board any train and pick any free 1st class seat.

livkid1
livkid1
3 posts
Mar 27, 2016 - 2:33 PM in reply to Annika

Thank you so much for the quick reply. How can I book a 4 day /variable days pass so that I can use it on different days? Do I have to specify the days of my travel between the cities ?

Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
Mar 27, 2016 - 3:31 PM

Hi livkid1,

I think the Swiss Travel Pass Flex is what you're looking for, right? Purchase options are listed here. While ordering you'll have to enter a start date for your pass, but this only indicates the start of the 1 month period in which you can use your 4 free travel days. You don't have to enter these 4 dates yet while ordering; you can do so on the spot, before you start traveling that day. It's explained here too.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016