1st Class travel in Bernese Oberland mid July

1st Class travel in Bernese Oberland mid July

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
cacashmore
cacashmore
1 post
Jun 30, 2016 - 1:49 PM

We are holidaying at Interlaken from 6 - 13 July. We have a half price pass provided by our travel company. We intend buying a Bernese Oberland pass for 4 or 6 days when we arrive (depending on weather forecasts). Is it worth paying the extra for a 1st class ticket to avoid overcrowding and get a little more comfort on the more popular trains. I do realise that some of the higher trains do not have 1st class carriages, hence the question.

Brahms
Brahms
214 posts
Jun 30, 2016 - 11:50 PM

I think it is it not worth.

You have only first class on the BOB-trains between Interlaken and Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen. On trains BLS, ZB and SBB (Interlaken to Thun, and Interlaken to Brienz and Meiningen) and on the boat on Thunersee and Brienzersee.

There is no first class on the cablecars and other mountain trains in Bernese Oberland.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2657 posts
expert
Jul 1, 2016 - 12:04 AM in reply to cacashmore

I use first class on long journeys on the main lines. In the BO region, they don't justify the expense. Among other reasons, most trains, as Brahms has pointed out, are single class.

In my opinion.;-)

Slowpoke

Last modified on Jul 1, 2016 - 12:05 AM by Slowpoke
andrew
andrew
27 posts
Jul 5, 2016 - 12:41 PM

First class is certainly worth it when travelling on the lake boats as you then gain access to the less busy upper decks. You can upgrade your tickets on the boats. Otherwise I agree with Slowpoke and Brahms. Have a good holiday. Andrew

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2657 posts
expert
Jul 5, 2016 - 1:57 PM in reply to andrew

<<"First class is certainly worth it when travelling on the lake boats as you then gain access to the less busy upper decks. ">>

I think that I recall a nicer first class dining area on the larger boats, as well?

Slowpoke

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016