1st Class travel in Bernese Oberland mid July

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2016 at 13:49:14 #809576

We are holidaying at Interlaken from 6 – 13 July. We have a half price pass provided by our travel company. We intend buying a Bernese Oberland pass for 4 or 6 days when we arrive (depending on weather forecasts). Is it worth paying the extra for a 1st class ticket to avoid overcrowding and get a little more comfort on the more popular trains. I do realise that some of the higher trains do not have 1st class carriages, hence the question.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2016 at 23:50:41 #853657

I think it is it not worth.

You have only first class on the BOB-trains between Interlaken and Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen. On trains BLS, ZB and SBB (Interlaken to Thun, and Interlaken to Brienz and Meiningen) and on the boat on Thunersee and Brienzersee.

There is no first class on the cablecars and other mountain trains in Bernese Oberland.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 July 2016 at 0:04:51 #853658

I use first class on long journeys on the main lines. In the BO region, they don’t justify the expense. Among other reasons, most trains, as Brahms has pointed out, are single class.

In my opinion.;-)

Slowpoke

andrew
    Participant
    146 posts
    5 July 2016 at 12:41:32 #853659

First class is certainly worth it when travelling on the lake boats as you then gain access to the less busy upper decks. You can upgrade your tickets on the boats. Otherwise I agree with Slowpoke and Brahms. Have a good holiday. Andrew

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 July 2016 at 13:57:40 #853660

<<“First class is certainly worth it when travelling on the lake boats as you then gain access to the less busy upper decks. “>>

I think that I recall a nicer first class dining area on the larger boats, as well?

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘1st Class travel in Bernese Oberland mid July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.