1st holiday in Switzerland

• kbhocks
    Participant
    4 posts
    29 May 2015 at 7:39:03 #807314

Hi,

My wife and I will be attending a family wedding in Adelboden at the end of July. We will be staying in Reichenbach im Kandertal and purchasing a Swiss rail pass to travel from Basel Airport and to get around during our stay.

Can anyone help with suggestions for day hikes in the region?

Thank in anticipation.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    29 May 2015 at 8:33:08 #843517

Hi kbhocks,

That’s a wonderful region! Day hikes are listed on myswissalps.com/ kandervalley/activities.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 May 2015 at 1:29:02 #843518

<<“Can anyone help with suggestions for day hikes in the region?”>>

How long will you be there, and how good/fit are you as hikers. Do you like to climb 1000 meters every day, or, like me, do you start panting after a few hundred meters?

There is a great well known day long walk from Kandersteg up and over to the Rhone valley.

Strenuous.

Want more details?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2015 at 14:32:06 #843519

There is a lovely relaxing walk in Engstligenalp – very easy, flat with mountains all around. Nice cafes for lunch.

How to get there from Reichenbach.

You take the RegioExpress4263 LÖTSCHBERGER from Reichenbach im Kandertal departing platform 1 towards Brig to Frutigen. Your journey starts at Reichenbach im Kandertal on at 09:19, you arrive at Frutigen is on platform 3 at 09:24.You walk from Frutigen to Frutigen,Bahnhof. For this you should allow 2 minutes. Your journey continues by Bus 230 from Frutigen, Bahnhof towards Adelboden, Post to Adelboden,Oey. Your journey starts at Frutigen, Bahnhof at 09:31, you arrive at Adelboden, Oey is at 09:54. Your journey continues by Bus 232 from Adelboden, Oey towards Adelboden, Unter dem Birg to Adelboden,Unter dem Birg. Your journey starts at Adelboden, Oey at 10:03, you arrive at Adelboden, Unter dem Birg is at 10:18. You walk from Adelboden, Unter dem Birg to Unter dem Birg BEAG. For this you should allow 5 minutes. Your journey continues by Cableway201 from Unter dem Birg BEAG towards Engstligenalp to Engstligenalp. Your journey starts at Unter dem Birg BEAG at 10:30, you arrive at Engstligenalp is at 10:38.Summary The total journey time is: 1:19 This connection is possible on the following days: 6. Jun until 18. Oct 2015 daily The number of changes is: 3

This is hourly. If you have a travel Pass all except cableway is covered and you get 50% discount on cableway. I copied and posted above route from sbb timetable which is probably why formatting is a bit odd!!

I thoroughly recommend this trip – it was one of our favourite outings last year because of the lovely atmosphere and relaxing walk.

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 May 2015 at 14:54:57 #843520

<<“You take the RegioExpress4263 LÖTSCHBERGER from Reichenbach im Kandertal departing platform”>>

Here is another way to take the Lötschberger to a great hike.

Ride it all the way to Hohtenn, in the Rhone Valley.

Get off and walk 6 miles to Ausserberg on the BLS Südrampe Trail, then get back on to a train returning (toward Spiez) and ride back to Reichenbach.

Almost guaranteed to have sunny weather.

Half way along the walk is a beer garden.

The trail is shown as part of Stage 3 on the Walliser Sonnenwg (Route 61) at this link:

http://www.wanderland.ch/en/h iking-in.html?phrase= Station+Hohtenn+%28VS%29+-+Hohtenn&sname=&si d=103860

Here is more information_

http://www.bls.ch/d/sommer/au sflug-so-wandern-sued rampe.php

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ de/wanderklassiker-an-der-loetschberg-suedr ampe.html

and a few attached pictures.

I allow four hours for the three hour walk; more if I linger a long time at the beer garden.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 May 2015 at 14:58:31 #843521

A few more pictures on the BLS Südrampe Trail.

The picture of Hohtenn station shows where the walk starts. It should have been with the earlier message.

• The thread ‘1st holiday in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.