1st Time Visiting Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2011 at 21:56:49 #804607

Hi, my name is Cindy from Singapore. I am planning a trip with younger daugther (14 years old) to Switzerland in December. We intend to visit my elder daughter who is studying at Lausanne for 2 to 3 days before travelling to other parts of Switzerland. Appreciate your recommened itinerary, place of interest, hotel and the most budget way to tour Switzerland.

Our arrival and departure dates:-

1) 21 Dec 2011 – Arriving Geneva Airport at 0730 hrs
    2) 30 Dec 2011 – Departing Singapore From Geneva Airport 1400 hrs

This will be our 1st winter trip out of our Sunny Singapore and we are clueless in planning this trip. Your assistance would be most appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    9 August 2011 at 6:33:57 #833881

Hello Cindy! Great that you get to visit Switzerland in winter. You’ll find several tools here to make plans for your itinerary, such as overviews of regions in the menu on the left (including day trips), the Swiss timetable, rail pass information, and so on. Hotels can be found at our hotel page. These pages on budget traveling may be interesting too. It would be nice if you could make some basic plans yourselves and tell something about your interests and preferences. Otherwise, it’s rather hard to give advice. Of course you’re welcome to get back to us with further questions. I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2011 at 19:44:37 #833882

Hi cindy – one quick suggestion for you – while in Lausanne take both your daughters to visit the Christmas market in Montreux; there is one in lausanne as well but the Montreux one is much bigger and really spectacular. We went there last December and were very impressed. Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2011 at 3:30:13 #833883

Hi Annika

Thanks for your reply.

I have a drafted an itinerary and wonder is this doable.

1) 21-12-11 Arrive Geneva and transfer to Lausanne
    Relax, sightseeing in Lausanne
    1st night in Lausanne

2) 22-12-11 Visit Montreux
    · Christmas Market (Is it open on weekday?)
    · Chateau Chillon
    2nd night in Lausanne

3) 23-12-11 To take Golden Pass Route from Montreux To Luzern Gstaad – Zeisimmen – Interlaken
    3rd night at Lauferbrunnen (Have not decided what to do)

4) 24-12-11 Visit to Jungfraujoch, Top of Europe
    4th night Lauferbrunnen

5) 25-12-11 Continue on the Golden Pass Route Fm Lauferbrunnen – Interlaken – Luzern
    · Chapel Bridge
    · Old Town
    · Lion Monument
    · Mt Titlis
    5th night in Luzern,

6) 26-12-11 Luzern – Bern
    · Cathedral
    · Clock Tower
    · Bear Pits
    · Bundesplatz
    · River Aare
    6th night in Bern

7) 27-12-11 Bern – Lausanne (To pick up the rest of our luggage)
    7th night in Lausanne

8) 28-12-11 Lusanne
    8th night in Lausanne

9) 29-12-11 Lausanne to Geneva
    · Jet d’Eau
    · Palais des Nations
    · International Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum
    · Flower Clock
    · 9th night in Geneva

10) 30-12-11 Leave for Home

I am considering the 8 days Swiss Pass (or should I get 15 days) since it include the free ride for my daughter who is 14 years old, this will also include our ride via the Golden Pass route (am I right?) We are quite free from 27 Dec, has yet to decide what to do. Is a 10 days trip too long for us? Should we also include other citie? Is it advisable to go to Top of Europe on Christmas’s Eve? Is there any other issue I should consider?

Thanks for your assistance.

Rgds
    Cindy

—–

Hi Maggie

Thanks for your advise! I have included in my itinerary the Christmas Market at Montreux, can I know are they open on weekday?

Rgds
    Cindy

Annika
    7104 posts
    12 August 2011 at 8:02:11 #833884

Hi Cindy! Yes, your itinerary definitely looks doable. If you want to see several Swiss towns, this is great. You’ll be traveling quite a lot, but if you don’t mind that, that’s just fine. I wouldn’t include more cities if I were you, as it’s very enjoyable to just sit back and relax a bit as well.

A Swiss Pass would indeed be the best option, since you’ll be traveling around a lot. The 8 day variant could work if you use it for day 1-8. The transfer Lausanne-Geneva and some urban trips within Geneva at day 9 and 10 won’t cost that much. But if it’s important to you to be flexible on all days, and to be able to travel wherever you want, you could consider the 15 day variant. Please note that an online purchase from Singapore is a lot cheaper than buying the pass locally. This can be checked in the upper right corner of the Swiss Pass page. Simply fill out your country, and select the right pass variant and other data for purchase options with up to date prices.

As for the Jungfraujoch at December 24: generally, the last train from the Jungfraujoch leaves in the afternoon (please refer to the Jungfraujoch timetable). There may be special Christmas events or rides though. You could contact Jungfrau railways to ask for information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2011 at 17:58:22 #833885

Hi Cindy, we visited in early Dec last year and Christmas markets in Montreux, Lausanne, Zurich, Winterthur, Basel, Bern, Biel were all open every day. Nearer the time of your visit check out Christmasmarkets.com and you will find opening times and dates for swiss markets on their website and some continue after christmas into New year. So if you happen to have an hour or so to spare when in a city where they have one they are worth a visit. Have fun Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2011 at 20:23:00 #833886

Hi Annika and Maggie

Thanks for your reply. It is very informative and had clear some of my doubt.

Cindy

• The thread ‘1st Time Visiting Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.