2 days in Lucerne, planning boat trip to Mt Rigi

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2017 at 2:57:00 #812559

Hi,

We will be arriving on Aug 3 to Lucerne from Zurich and we have a Swiss Travel Pass. On Aug. 4 we plan to do a half day tour of Mt. Rigi since we know everything is covered with our Swiss Travel Pass. We want to know the earliest boat that we can take from Lucerne to Vitznau? I have searched the website of Lake Lucerne Ferries – http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/ but the PDF for excursions from Lucerne to Vitznau is in German and I don’t know if my understanding is correct. There are only 2 trips going to Vitznau one is at 8:40 and the other at 17:12, and that the trip takes about 2 hours. Am I correct? When I take this boat ride, I have to go down to the last stop?

Since, I am making a detailed itinerary, i am now looking for the schedule of the cogwheels from Vitznau to Rigi. I came across this website: http://www.rigi.ch/en/content /download/5104/60226/v ersion/1/file/Rigi+Bah nen+Timetable+Vitznau+ Summer+2017.pdf

It is in German and I couldn’t understand. Please help. I just need to make a schedule on what time I should take boat, cogwheel and cable, bus / train and be back in Lucerne by 2 to 3 pm so that I will still have time to see and enjoy Lucerne.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 July 2017 at 13:36:35 #866469

Hi Swistrip2017,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! The link to the PDF document you posted did not work. I corrected it and now it links to a document in English. Please have a look at that version. The earliest boat departs 8:12. Alternatively you’ll find all public transport in the national timetable. Please read the timetable page entirely before actually using the timetable so you know about its features.

Just let us know if any questions remain.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 11:30:24 #866470

Hi Arno,

Thanks for helping me out regarding the timetable. I have a different query, regarding Mt. Jungfrau. Hope you can help me out.

On my last day at Lauterbbrunnen, I will first visit Mt. Beatus Cave, afterwhich around 10 am proceed to Mt. Jungfrau. I have a Swiss Travel Pass. This is the route in ascending: Interlaken Ost—>Grindelwald—>Kleine Scheidegg—>Mt. Jungfrau. For my descent: Mt. Jungfrau—>Kleine Scheidegg—>Lauterbrunnen.

Here are my questions:

a) Is my route possible?

b) Which routes are free and discounted with the Swiss Travel Pass?

c) Do I buy the tickets per route ( example Interlaken Ost to Grindelwald) or do i need to buy from Happyrail (Independent day tickets for Jungfrau)? If I spend an hour in Grindelwald, before going to Kleine Scheidegg is that possible? Do I need to buy in advance the Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg ticket since this train is either always full or long lines in the ticketing office? Where do I buy this ticket? Do I need to make a seat reservation?

Thanks again for any help you can extend. Sorry if it is too long.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 17:11:26 #866471

Hi Swistrip2017,

Yes, your planned route is possible – read more details about getting to Jungfraujoch here.
    The trip up to Grindelwald is 100% free and then 25% off the rest of the way up. Coming down it is 25% off down to Wengen and then 100% free after that – details here.

You don’t have to buy the tickets by route section no. When buying the ticket online make sure you enter that you have a Swiss Travel Pass and you will get the correct discount overall. Same goes if you buy it at a train station. You can make reservations (especially if you are in a rush that day and can’t be delayed) but wait until the day before to ensure the weather will be good before buying anything. Read more about buying tickets for specific dates and times (we don’t recommend due to weather issues) on my last link.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 2:17:58 #866472

Hi Lucas and Arno,

Again, thanks for answering my queries. I have a different question, I have read from another forum that from the Rigi-Kulm railway station to the top of Mt. Rigi there are 2 paths. One is easier and less steep, how do I know which path is that? Is there a sign?

Where do I get directions or map on the walk from Rigi Kulm to Rigi Kaltbad? Is there only 1 trail to take? How long is the walk?

Thanks again. Will be waiting for your reply.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 6:18:53 #866473

Hi Arno and Lucas,

Just a follow-up question. Kindly check if my understanding is correct. I am fixing my budget for the Mt. Rigi trip.

Benefits of a Swiss Travel Pass 2nd class

1) Free boat ride from Lucerne to Vitznau and Weggis to Lucerne

2) 50% discount for cogwheel from Vitznau to Rigi Kulm and Rigi Klum to Rigi Kaltbad

3) Free cable ride from Rigi Kaltbad to Weggis

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 9:23:28 #866474

Hi again!

Your trip to Mt. Rigi is totally free with the Swiss Travel Pass – you can read about what is covered (or not fully covered) by the Swiss Travel Pass here.

You can also find hiking routes in the Mt. Rigi website here. It lists all trails, length of the trip and elevation changes as well. 🙂

All hiking trails in Switzerland are well-signed as well once you are there (but it won’t tell you about elevation change usually – just expected time to hike the trail).

Lucas

• The thread ‘2 days in Lucerne, planning boat trip to Mt Rigi’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.