2 months in Switzerland, whats the best pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 December 2010 at 19:38:42 #804067

Hello,

I am a New Zealander coming to Switzerland for 2 months next year. I will be ariving via train from Chamonix (France) and hope to spend alot of time travelling all around Switzerland, hiking, riding gondolas to the tops of mountains etc before flying home from Zurich. I thought the Swiss Pass would be a good rail pass to buy, but the longest it seams to last is 1 month. The Swiss Half Fare card also seams good, but again it only seams to last 1 month.

Should I buy 2 cards for my trip? Is there some other card or pass that covers a longer period then 1 month?

Thankyou for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    11 December 2010 at 8:31:38 #832027

Hi Yarmoss,

It’s great that you can spend so much time in Switzerland! The Swiss Pass would be ideal as you’ve planned to travel a lot. It’s maximum validity is one month indeed. You can purchase two of them. The second one can start the day after the last day of the first one. When traveling extensively, it’s still a good deal. It can be purchased from the Swiss Pass page.

The Swiss Half Fare Card for tourists is valid for one month as well, but there is a one year version for a relatively low price: CHF 165 (versus CHF 99 for one month). It can be purchased via the federal railways SBB or at a Swiss rail station.

Please note that the Swiss Pass would probably be a lot cheaper in total, but it depends on your exact itenary. It’s more comfortable as well, as you don’t have to purchase tickets for each trip.

Have a beautiful stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2010 at 17:25:55 #832028

Thankyou for the information, Arno. I think the Swiss Pass will be the one I go for as I like the flexability and I will be moving around lots. I cannot wait to visit! Thankyou vey much!

• The thread ‘2 months in Switzerland, whats the best pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.