Plan for 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen incl. Jungfrau

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2016 at 21:25:02 #809037

Hi, as part of our Switzerland visit we are spending 2 nights (1.5 days) in Lauterbrunnen (will be travelling from Luzern). I have planned the following can someone please suggest this looks ok. We are staying in Chalet Rosa on Hauptstrasse.

– 1st day: Travel to Jungfrau. We will get Swiss pass at Luzern. Can someone please let me know what part of the journey to Jungfrau from Lauterbrunnen is included on Swiss pass. I am taking this route: train from Lauterbrunnen – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfrau. Also how much it will cost with Swiss pass for 2 adults and 2 kids (7 and 4)

Would we be able to do Jungfrau in half day and come back to hotel and then plan something for that evening in Lauterbrunnen or Wengen or somewhere close by? What you guys will suggest?

– 2nd Day: Explore Lauterbrunnen valley. Visit Trümmelbach falls and Staubach falls. Can we squeeze something else on this day Murren or something else in Bernese Oberland. We will have till 4 pm in Lauterbrunnen as need to catch train to Zurich for our return flight (9pm) that day.

Also does anyone know of any halal restaurant in Lauterbrunnen or nearby? If If not any recommended restaurant with nice sea food or vegetarian options?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 April 2016 at 0:33:03 #851331

Hi Nomsat –

<<“I have planned the following can someone please suggest this looks ok.”>>

We can’t answer very well until we know what dates you are traveling. Travel options and tourist oriented facilities in the Jungfrau region are available or unavailable on highly seasonal basis.

Not sure what you could plan for an evening in the region, unless there were some special event…for which dates would be useful for planning.l

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2016 at 15:13:21 #851332

Hi Slowpoke, we are travelling on 27th May and staying 2 nights in Luzern. Will get swiss pass (4days) in Luzern on 28th May. Should be in Lauterbrunnen on 29th May evening. 30th May Jungfrau (can you please tell me which parts are covered by swiss pass and how much the others cost)?

31st May we will have till 4 pm as need to catch flight from Zurich around 9pm. So we will have more than half day to spent in Lauterbrunnen. Planning to see Trümmelbach falls and Staubach falls. So if we still have time do you recommend visiting Murren or any other valley in the area?

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 April 2016 at 15:35:20 #851333

Hi nomsat,

Please note that you do not need a Swiss Pass. That’s an electronic card for Swiss citizens. What you need is a Swiss Travel Pass. It sounds similar but it’s a very different product. What’s included can be found on the coverage map. Be sure to zoom in for full details. Instead of buying the Swiss Travel Pass in Luzern it would be more convenient to simply print it at home. That way you can board your first train straight away without waiting for a ticket office. Please also see the other thread where we’ve discussed this too.

The Schynige Platte railway, departing from Wilderswil, would be a very nice local (half) day trip. It’s free with your Swiss Travel Pass and they will have just opened for the season when you’re there.

Have fun!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 April 2016 at 17:05:24 #851334

Hi Nomsat-

As Arno notes, the season is just starting for the summer.

Some facilities for tourists may not yet be open.

Your plans look OK, but check the timetable to be sure, especially if you want to use the cableways.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Not all hotels and restaurants will be open yet.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2016 at 19:58:30 #851335

Arno, thanks once again. Yes I was referring to Swiss travel pass and as per your suggestion on that thread will buy online and print it out. Can I ask one more quick question although a bit different to this thread. For our first 2 days in Luzern we are planning to go both Pilatus and Rigi. Would you recommend taking boat trip for both Rigi (Luzern to Vitznau) and Pilatus (Alpnachstad to Luzern) route or one would be enough. If 1 then which one you recommend?

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 April 2016 at 20:11:57 #851336

Hi Nomsat,

I would say, do take the boat to Mount Rigi. Take it to Mount Pilatus only if it fits your schedule. The trip will be nice without the boat as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2016 at 20:14:23 #851337

Thanks. And 1 last question which trip is longer Rigi or Pilatus (obviously depends on how much time we spend at the mountain but travelling time? ) as on our 2nd day we need to travel to Lauterbrunnen in the evening.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 April 2016 at 20:52:53 #851338

<<“And 1 last question which trip is longer Rigi or Pilatus (obviously depends on how much time we spend at the mountain but travelling time? )”>>

Hi Nomsat-

Your question is best answered by working with the timetable linked in an earlier post. If you do that, then you can look at different departure times and different return times. And, in both cases, but, especially for the Rigi, if you decide to go back to Luzern, you can judge alternate routes ( via Vitznau and boat, via Weggis and boat, as well as the alternate for both of those two by bus to Küssnacht am Rigi and train to Luzern, or, as a third option, by descent to Arth Goldau and return to Luzern by train.

Not only transit time is needed, but what hour of the day the transit runs is needed for your planning, as well as connecting times in some cases, and the boats do not have as frequent a schedule as the trains.

However, one way transit times for example on May 28th are-

depart Luzern Bahnhofquai at 0812, boat to Vitznau, catch the connecting cograil to Rigi Kulm, arrive Rigi Kulm at 0947.

Other times are available.

Rigi Kulm to Luzern via Arth Goldau is 1 hour 37 minutes, leaving at 1104 and xx04 for some hours afterward.

The following time table shows that you can leave Luzern at 0838 by boat, beginning on 28 May and arrive at Pilatus Kulm via cograil at 1007. Earlier in May, the first service is at 0938.

Slowpoke

http://www.pilatus.ch/en/rail way-cableways/timetable/

Hope that helps

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2016 at 20:44:37 #851339

Thanks slowpoke and Arno for your detailed replies

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 14:21:00 #851340

Hi Arno, I have bought the Swiss travel pass with print at home option. Thanks. Just a quick question for our travelling from Zurich Airport to Lucerne: I am planning to buy e-ticket. Can I buy it from sbb.ch website and print it at home?

If I buy it now can I jump into any train regardless of time and route to Lucerne? We are landing at 9 pm and would be targeting 9:43 pm train (next at 10:13 pm) so if I have the e-ticket I wont have to find / queue the ticket office or machines?

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 May 2016 at 14:31:32 #851341

Hi nomsat,

You can buy that ticket from the machines at the airport train station. I haven’t seen many queues for the machines. Or you can buy it online through the SBB (other options here) and print it at home. Note that you do not need any ticket if your Swiss Travel Pass is valid that day. Tickets are valid for any train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 15:13:09 #851342

Thanks Arno for the quick response. Our Swiss Travel pass is valid from next day for 4 days so cant use for our arrival night. Think will buy it online a day or 2 before our travel date.

• The thread ‘Plan for 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen incl. Jungfrau’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.