2 separate 4-day trip in 1.5mth, which pass to buy

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2013 at 8:37:02 #805743

Hi,
    I will be making two separate trips to switzerland fr 24-27 Jan and 12-15 Mar with different friends.
    Im in a dilennma on which pass to buy for my trips (that is most cost-effective for the group) — 4-day swiss saver pass for 2 trips? Or can the 8-day swiss pass be used over 1.5 months?
    Could some one pls enlighten me?

My rough plan for the trips as follows:
    Trip #1:
    24 Jan: Arrive at Zurich airport. Will explore Zurich and Bern city, and stay overnight at Bern.
    25 Jan: Bern – Thun (boat ride) – Interlaken – Jungfrau. Stay overnight at Interlaken.
    26 Jan: Interlaken – Luzern. Explore Mt Titlis & Mt Rigi
    27 Jan: Interlaken – Sargan to catch a train to Austria (Wien)

Trip #2:
    12 Mar: Lugano – Bellinzona – Locarno/ Brig
    13 Mar: Zermatt (Hike up to Matterhorn)
    14 Mar: Montreux – Lausanne – Geneve
    15 Mar: Explore Geneve and fly back to vienna

p.s. I also read about “Supersaver ticket”, but not sure how is this applicable in my case.

Looking forward to some favourable replies!

Cheers,
    Cynthia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    11 January 2013 at 9:37:46 #837899

Welcome to the forum Cynthia! You’ll need to buy separate passes for both trips, as there’s no rail pass that’s valid longer than one month. Since you planned quite some longer trips during both stays, the 4 day Swiss Saver Pass would definitely be the most convenient solution. For the itinerary you listed, you’ll only need additional discounted tickets for your visit to the Titlis. All further trips are free, even the one to the Rigi, so you won’t have to buy any other tickets. Simply board the trains, buses and boats with your pass and that’s all.

For your second trip in March, the 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass (which can be used on 3 consecutive days) is an alternative, as you probably won’t travel that much during your last day in Geneva. It’s a bit cheaper than a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass, but whether it’s more economical in all depends on your travel plans for March 15.

Supersaver tickets can be obtained through the SBB. They’re available in limited numbers and for specific trains only, so you’re bound to specific departure times.

Please find all details, validity maps and purchase options at the Swiss Saver Pass and Swiss Saver Flexi Pass pages.

In case you’re still looking for hotels close to the railway stations: these overviews of Bern, Interlaken, Zermatt, Geneva and Geneva Airport may be of help.

• The thread ‘2 separate 4-day trip in 1.5mth, which pass to buy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.