2 weeks pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2011 at 0:15:02 #804446

Going to do some hiking in the Bernese Oberland this October. don’t know which pass to get. the regular 15 days swiss rail pass seems a bit too expensive for me. I probably won’t be moving around that much, staying in about 3 different location as a hiking base.
    was thinking of getting the swiss transfer ticket to Grindelwald. does that mean I will have to leave back from Grindelwald too? or I can take the train to Zurich from some other location?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 June 2011 at 16:15:55 #833346

Hi littlerunaway,

I guess there are two passes to look into:

1) The Swiss Card covers your trip from Zurich to Grindelwald, and provides 50% discounts on other trips during your stay. You can travel back from any other town than Grindelwald (the Swiss Transfer Ticket allows that as well).
    2) The Regional Pass Bernese Oberland covers just the region, including some days of free traveling. The one week version is on sale if you’re traveling with two people.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2011 at 12:46:48 #833347

thanx a lot for the reply. I think the first option you mentioned is a good option for me since it covers my trip from Zuric.
    2 questions:
    can I buy that card at the airport in Zurich?
    the card covers a round trip from the airport. my first destination will probably be Grindelwald. does that mean I have to leave back from the same town?
    and what about if I want to spend a day in Zurich (my flight leaves early in the morning so I have to be Zurich the day before). is it a problem to exit the train in the town of Zurich instead of the airport? I’m guessing the way from Zurich to the airport won’t be included if I make the trip the next day, right?

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 July 2011 at 3:53:06 #833348

Hi littlerunaway,

The Swiss Card page lists all the purchase options including local purchasing at Zurich airport. It’s not necessarily the cheapest option to buy it there, especially if you qualify for the promotion I mentioned. But you can best see for yourself on that page.

Your return trip may start in any town and end in Zurich. You cannot use the Swiss Card the next day to go to the airport. But that’s a short and cheap trip, and some airport hotels even get you there for free.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2011 at 4:10:47 #833349

the promotion you mentioned won’t work for me since I’m traveling alone.
    so basically if I get the Swiss card it covers my trip from the airport to any town in Switzerland and the trip from any other town to Zurich?
    what’s the difference between the Swiss card and the Swiss transfer card?

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 July 2011 at 15:07:03 #833350

That’s right! The Swiss Transfer Ticket only includes the round trip and no further discounts.

• The thread ‘2 weeks pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.