3 day Interlaken itinerary with baby, 4-7 June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2016 at 9:55:53 #809307

Hi All,

We are travelling with our 3 months old baby from 4 June and flying back on 7 June.

• flying to Basel airport & staying in Interlaken near West train station
    • will be arriving at 10 am in Basel and have a flight around 2Pm on Tue 7 June (so we have almost 3 days)
    • we don’t intend to travel to Jungfrau due to baby
    • What we are interested in is to explore the scenic area through funicular, cable, gondolas + some adventure activity e.g. Paragliding, first flyer etc.

I have researched a bit & have two questions:

1. What can we cover in 2.5 days in the region:

• Gondola + cable ride from Wengen to First
    • trummelbach falls (any other good waterfalls ?)
    • Planplatten (optional)
    • Niesen (any good ?)
    • Schynlge Platte
    • First
    • Reichenbach fall
    • Harder Kulm
    • Niederhorn

I believe I have listed much more than I can do but will appreciate guidance what should we cover on day 1 (only half day available as we will reach to Interlaken around 1PM) & day 2 + 3 ?

Thanks

Zeb

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    31 May 2016 at 10:20:26 #852453

Welcome to MySwissAlps Zeb!

I agree you have listed more than you can do, but it’s good to have some options and pick trips based on the weather and your energy level of the day. If you can’t go to Jungfraujoch, you may want to consider the ride to Kleine Scheidegg so you can at least have a good look of the mountain.

As for the first afternoon: if the weather’s good you can easily walk to the Harder Kulm funicular and go up. If it rains or too cloudy to go up, the Trümmelbach Falls are a good option. Take a train to Lauterbrunnen, then by bus to the falls.

If you plan to take a print at home pass to save time, please note that it takes a few days to receive it through e-mail, so you would need to arrange for that today. As you live in Ireland you can check either http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk or http://www.swissrailways.com/ en.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2016 at 11:56:41 #852454

Many thanks for the swift response. Can you help me with what I can pack in day 2 or 3 ?

Also I am thinking to buy a half fare card and Junfrau 3 day pass to use it on 4,5 & 6 June. Does Jungfrau pass will cover all these ? Do you think otherwise for pass / tickets ?

Arno
    15483 posts
    31 May 2016 at 12:57:20 #852455

Hi Zeb,

The Reichenbach Fall and Planplatten are close together, so that’s a combination. Niederhorn and Niesen could be combined in a trip around Lake Thun. Note that the First gondolas depart from Grindelwald, not Wengen.

The Jungfrau Travel Pass is for a small area and does not include all on your list: myswissalps.com/ jungfrautravelpass/ validity. The Swiss Half Fare Card would be better I guess. You can print it at home so you can get your tickets from the machines as you go. You may not be able to include as much as you want with a baby, but if you’re sure you can travel a lot the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland might be another option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2016 at 14:03:47 #852456

Many thanks. I have done a quick comparison & seems like I may end up spending less with half fare card alone. One quick question. I can see an offer on SBB website for First flyer including trains to Basel etc. within 3 day period. Can you please guide me what is day means here as I will be traveling from Basel airport to Interlaken. I will be travelling from Basel airport at 11am on 4th, returning on 9am on 7 June. If the day starts from the time I start my travel I can but this option otherwise no.

http://www.sbb.ch” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”>

Arno
    15483 posts
    31 May 2016 at 14:47:42 #852457

I don’t know about that offer, but if you post the link I can have a look.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 May 2016 at 21:20:40 #852459

There is a great walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. It opens in early June (or earlier if the snow pack is light from the previous winter). It may not be open for you, but, if it is, it is one of the best and easiest scenic walks in Switzerland. I have seen babies in strollers being pushed along it, but that was later in the season when things have dried out a bit.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

The cable car from Wengen to Männlichen starts to run about the time you are there.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 June 2016 at 8:41:21 #852460

Hi Zeb,

Thanks for the link. Indeed the included train journey is valid for 3 days. So you would have to return by the 6th to make it work. Just the Swiss Half Fare Card suits your plans better I would say.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2016 at 22:19:18 #852461

Many thanks guys !!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 June 2016 at 22:40:16 #852462

Have a great trip!

Let us know how it went. Especially, if something did not work out. ;-(

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘3 day Interlaken itinerary with baby, 4-7 June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.