3 day or 4 day Switzerland itinerary urgent help!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 November 2015 at 15:55:09 #808144

Hi,

I need to book my vacation within the next 48 hours to lock in rates.

We are three adults which includes my mom (she is 70). It’s her bucket list trip.

I have researched a lot but still confused about what my itinerary should entail. Here are the details:

To begin with; Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Rigi, Mt. Titlus and Schilthorn are my to-do things. Is it ok to leave out Jungfraujoch? We are from Canada so snow is not a big deal for us 🙂

I will be purchasing the 3 day or 4 day Swiss Travel Pass

OPTION 1: 3day – 18th, 19th, 20th

1. We fly from Toronto on the 17th – land in Zurich on the 18th around 9:00am

2. Take a train to Lucerne immediately. On this day, (18th) I plan to visit Mt. Pilatus and walk around Lucerne and take in the sights. Overnight in Lucerne.(Is it too much to do the Mt. Pilatus trip on the same day we land in Switzerland)

3. On 19th, visit Mt. Titlis and Mt. Rigi. Take train to Lauterbrunnen in the evening.(Can we do the both the Mt.s in one day?)

4. On the 20th, visit Schilthorn and the Falls in Lauterbrunnen. Overnight in Lauterbrunnen.(Can I add some other trip or activity on this day?)

5. On the 2oth evening leave for Zurich. Overnight stay in Zurich.

6. On the 21st catch the early morning flight (8:00am) to Toronto. Is Option 1 do able while enjoying everything? I don’t want to rush anything.

OPTION 2: 4day – 18th, 19th, 20th,21st

1. We fly from Toronto on the 17th – land in Zurich on the 18th around 9:00am

2. Take a train to Lucerne immediately. On this day, (18th) I plan to visit Mt. Pilatus and walk around Lucerne and take in the sights. Overnight in Lucerne.

(Is it too much to do the Mt. Pilatus trip on the same day we land in Switzerland)

3. On 19th, visit Mt. Titlis. (What should I do for the rest of the day?) Overnight in Lucerne.

4. On 20th, visit Mt. Rigi. (What should I do for the rest of the day?) Overnight in Lauterbrunnen.

5. On the 21st, visit Schilthorn and the Falls in Lauterbrunnen.

(Can I add some other trip or activity on this day?)

6. On the 21st evening leave for Zurich. Overnight stay in Zurich.

7. On the 22nd catch the early morning flight (8:00am) to Toronto.

Is it necessary to add the additional day to space out Mt. Titlus and Mt. Rigi on two separate days?

or should I keep Mt. Titlus and Mt. Rigi on the same day and on the additional day I do the Jungfraujoch trip? or visit the Eiffel Tower in Paris on the additional day?

I hope the experts can guide me in the right direction.

thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 November 2015 at 2:33:42 #847072

Hi Rakeschka-

Welcome to the Forum.

What month?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2015 at 12:21:36 #847073

Sorry forgot to mention the month.

It’s June 17th departure from Toronto (around 8:30 arrival on the 18th in Zurich) and June 22nd departure (very early morning) from Zurich

thanks

Arno
    15482 posts
    24 November 2015 at 13:07:32 #847074

Hi rakeshca,

If you can stay 4 days instead of 3, I would certainly recommend that. More time is better as outdoor activities are entirely weather dependent, so you increase your chances of good scenic views.

Combining Mount Rigi and Titlis and a transfer to Lauterbrunnen in one day is quite a lot but not impossible. You need to have an energetic mom for such a planning 🙂

I would forget about the Eiffel Tower. Although there are high speed trains to Paris, this is not something you’d do as a day trip. Way too much traveling for only a bit of sightseeing, while there’s a lot to see in Switzerland. All our regional and town pages have an activity section with suggestions. You can have a look there to fill in the gaps, or click “What to do” in the main menu.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2015 at 13:32:43 #847075

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your reply. yes, I have decided to go with the 4 day option.

I understand and agree with your Paris suggestion. I drop it.

My final to-do excursions are Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Rigi, Mt. Titlus, Schilthorn and Junfragoch.

I am thinking Schilthron on the 20th and Junfragoch on the 21st should be goos. I will be staying in Lauterbrunnen on the 20th.

The questions remains how to accommodate Mt. Pilatus , Mt Rigi and Mt Titlus.

You mentioned that Mt Rigi and Mt Titlus might be too much in one day. My mom is in good shape and should easily manage it but I don’t want the trip to be rushed. It should be more relaxing rather than running to around tick places off the checklist.

Should I then do Mt Titlus on the 18th (the day I arrive in Lucerne)?

I can keep Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Rigi for the 19th. are these both doable in a more relaxed manner than Mt. Rigi and Mt. Titlus on the same day?

Or from the three Mt. Pilatus , Mt Rigi and Mt Titlus; should I drop one of them? If yes, which one?

thanks

Arno
    15482 posts
    24 November 2015 at 15:08:05 #847076

Hi rakeshca,

Note that the mountain is called Titlis, or Kleintitlis if you’re looking for timetables. There are two things to consider:

• Mount Pilatus is the easiest/quickest to access from Lucerne: just a short bus ride to Kriens where the cable car departs. So that could be a reason to do this one upon arrival.
    • On the other hand, the trains up to Mount Rigi run until later in the day, so that gives you more time. That helps if you want to do this either after arriving in Lucerne, or if you want to schedule this as the last attraction of the day.

As for dropping one mountain: they’re all very different, so the best you can do is review the above links for the details and see which one is of least interest to you.

Be sure to have alternatives in mind. You can plan all you want but going up into the fog just because it’s in your plan is a waste of time. Lucerne is a pleasant town for sightseeing if the weather would force you to do so.

As for your rail pass: please see here for all the details.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 November 2015 at 16:56:14 #847077

Thanks for the dates –

By then, the mountain access by various cable cars in the Berner Oberland is running regularly, unless there is a very late snow.

We used to always plan our visits to Switzerland in June. Spring is well along at the lower altitudes, the wildflowers are blooming, and the weather is generally warm.

Snow likely persists at the higher altitudes. The high mountain pass highways typically don’t open until early to mid June. Trains run, of course. 😉

However, the summer weather pattern has not settled in yet, usually, so there can be a lot of spring rains and cloudy weather, varying from region to region..

The weather can vary quite a bit over a very short distance, so the forecasts always need to be used as guidance, not absolute statements. And, the morning weather forecast on SF1 TV channel gives regional indications and webcam shots that are good guidance. (Approx 0630 to 0730, I recall.)

When you are planning a mountain ascent, check the tourist offce of the town or city where you are staying or visiting.

Luzern tourist info is by track #1. They are very helpful.

Slowpoke.

• The thread ‘3 day or 4 day Switzerland itinerary urgent help!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.