3 Day Zermatt itinerary in early May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2017 at 15:08:44 #810910

Hello,

My partner and I are planning a northern Italy trip and will be coming up to Zermatt on the second week of May. We gathered that this may not be the ideal time to visit as most facilities will be closed, but we’re still keen on visiting Zermatt, particularly if there are day hikes available.

We’re looking to check on some of the stuff we’ve read, as well as to get opinions on whether our itinerary is feasible, so here goes:

Itinerary So Far

• Day 1: Park the car at Tasch, with a train up to Zermatt. We intend to spend the first day exploring the town and hopefully go to the Gornergrat
    • Day 2: Attempt the winter hikes.(Zermatt – Furi via Blatten / Zermatt – Sunnegga (via Tiefenmatten) Routes taken here: http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Medi a/Planning-hikes-tours
    • Day 3: Leave Zermatt for Schwartzsee (Unsure if its open or safe for hiking)

What We Read About

1. Gornergrat may not be open? We followed this timetable here: http://www.matterhornparadise .ch/en/timetable?tab=1&date=Tuesday%2C+ 09.+May+2017&datetime= 1494259200000
    2. Is hiking possible? The link on Day 2 has no suitable hikes for May and we’re unsure of which hikes would be available to us.
    3. Hiking in Schwartsee is dependent on the weather, and we aren’t sure if we should give just give it a miss

Any help is appreciated!

Dickson

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2017 at 17:51:45 #859402

Hi Dickson and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Gornergrat should be open – check the SBB timetable here to be sure for your specific date. It is the ski chairs and gondolas that will shut down from late April to early/mid June.
    2. Some hikes will be unavailable at that time yes. You link notes some lifts and cogwheels that will be shut down during your stay there. Some hikes are still accessible (I don’t have personal experience there however). You can find these hikes on our “what to do” page for Zermatt and find which route is needed to get there (and compare to your link as to what is closed.
    3. Perhaps another member can put in their 2 cents about Schwarzsee at that time of year – it looks like most transport to get you there will be closed however.

Unfortunately its just not a great time to go as you know.

I hope this helped a little! Let me know if you have further questions/concerns!

Lucas

Arno
    15479 posts
    27 February 2017 at 19:46:35 #859403

Hi Dickson,

I have been to Zermatt in summer and winter, but not in spring. It will be quiet around that time. I checked the schedule and the lift to Schwarzsee stops operating on May 1 and only starts again on July 1. You can assume that area can’t be reached when you are there, and it will be snow covered.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2017 at 1:04:10 #859404

Hi Lucas, Arno,

Thank you so much for your advice.

I guess we may keep our trip short and focused on sightseeing around Zermatt instead of planning a hike due to the uncertainties in weather conditions.

We will give an update when we are there so that it can help future travellers too.

Have a great day!

• The thread ‘3 Day Zermatt itinerary in early May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.