3 days easy hut to hut hike near Bernese Oberland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2015 at 13:28:33 #807368

Hi All,

I really need some help here. I am landing in Basel on 18th June morning, and have a return flight from there on 21st June evening. So effectively I have a little less than 4 full days, and I am interested in doing an easy hut to hut hike in Bernese Oberland covering 3 days. I initially thought of going somewhere near to Basel but almost everybody advises me to hike in BO.

Can you guys suggest a hike in BO that not very difficult and can last 3 days ? I have looked at the hikes section on this website and I did come across a few easy hikes. But they are too short to last 3 days.

Thanks in advance.Regards,Yogi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 June 2015 at 13:04:39 #843728

Hi Yogi,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Most huts are in remote places, not along the easier trails. You can find them through sac-cas.ch/en/ huts/search-a-hut.html. The trail network can be found through map.wanderland.ch. Do take into account that higher sections of the trails can still be snow covered, so have an alternative if necessary. Also have an alternative in case of bad weather. Another option is to walk for village to village. E.g. Meiringen to Grindelwald, Grindelwald to Wengen, Wengen to Mürren, etc. Apart from hotels in these villages, there are some accommodations along these trails as well, e.g. Hotel Schwarzwaldalp and Berghaus Grindelwaldblick. I’m not sure what distance (horizontal and vertical) you intend to cover.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2015 at 8:19:33 #843729

Hi Arno,

Thank you for replying. I was hoping for a very leisurely hike, with ample of time to stop and take pictures, or just sit at the lake side, etc.

My partner is not much into hiking, so we would want to choose something that is at a lower altitude but equally beautiful. And not cover a distance of more than 20 kms in 3 days… I could only see people suggesting the below hikes but I doubt if they can even last a day, forget 3 days.

1. Grindelwald -> First -> Bachalpsee -> any other worthwhile place to go from here and come back?

2. Grindelwald -> Manlichhen -> KS

How I wish I could do both without having to return to Grindelwald and just instead stay at some transit midway between these hikes.

Annika
    7122 posts
    10 June 2015 at 18:16:36 #843730

Hi Yogi,

I’m not sure if hut to hut hikes are what you’re looking for. There are huts in high altitudes only, although the berghaus Arno mentioned offers a ‘hut-like experience’. You could walk from Grindelwald to the berghaus (various routes, please see the map Arno linked to), and the next day down to Wengen or Lauterbrunnen (if you have strong knees).

There are wonderful hiking trails in lower altitudes too. Note that 20 km in a day is a lot in the mountains. Unless you only walk in the valleys, many routes include a lot of vertical meters. That’s not a lot of fun for 20 kilometers if you’re not into hiking.

Grindelwald to the Bachalpsee includes an altitude difference of more than 1200 m, for example. Once you have reached the lake you can proceed to Berghaus Mänddlenen or Hotel Faulhorn, provided that it’s open. It opens mid-June as trails are snow covered before, and still might be until July. The next day you could reach Schynige Platte and take the cogwheel train down. This route might be too ambitious.

You may also want to consider the Jakobsweg, a trail along lakes and mostly in lower altitudes: http://www.jakobsweg.ch.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2015 at 21:18:21 #843731

Thanks Annika. I meant 20 kms total in 3 days, not one day 🙂

But i guess i will do multiple day hikes from Grindelwald (will stay here for 3 nights) instead of a hut to hut hiking. I will do the hikes of Bachalpsee and KS. I just hope that these hikes will open by 18th June and also Gondolas/cable cars will be operational.

Regards,

Yogesh

Annika
    7122 posts
    13 June 2015 at 8:20:59 #843732

Sorry, you wrote that indeed. Around 7 km per day is a lot better. Both trails you mentioned are already open. They can theoretically close again, but that would be for a short time only, after bad weather. Cable cars are operational too.

Have fun! A short trip report about your experiences would be wonderful.

• The thread ‘3 days easy hut to hut hike near Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.