3 days hike in Bernese Oberland

• AMerchant
    Participant
    14 posts
    30 May 2013 at 1:53:42 #806034

Hello

I am thinking of 3 days of easy to moderate hikes in Bernese Oberland in mid August.

The areas I would like to cover are:

Day 1. Wengen to Grindewald via Kliene Scheidegg

Day 2. Grindewald to Meiringen

Day 3. Meiringen to Iseltwald

Please could let me know if these are easy walks as I am not an experience hiker. Want to capture as much natural beauty on camera as possible during the hikes.

Also please provide durations for each hike and any places to stop for rest and food.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    31 May 2013 at 0:10:04 #838802

These are long and strenuous hikes, not possible for an inexperienced hiker. I have hiked across the entire country on the quite aggressive Alpine Pass Route, over the highest mountain passes in Switzerland. Eight hours of hiking a day, typically 4,000 to 5,000 feet of vertical ascent and descent daily. Even I would consider the routes you are suggesting to be painful.

There are a number of easy hikes with great scenery for you to take pictures. You don’t say where you are based, but I would say Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, First to Bachalpsee round trip, Grütshalp to Mürren, and Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg are walks that you would enjoy. Each about 3 – 4 miles each direction and pretty flat. See walkingswitzerland.com for suggestions of easy hikes (you need to stay in the “easy” category since you are not experienced).

Arno
    15484 posts
    31 May 2013 at 1:34:59 #838803

I agree with Kim, these routes are too long. Although the last one is on the flat valley floor and might be doable. As for Grindelwald to Meiringen: you can take a bus to Grosse Scheidegg and then walk to Meiringen, as described here. That’s quite a long walk already, but far better than doing the whole route on foot. More tips are at the Bernese Oberland hiking page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2013 at 14:17:54 #838804

Hi AMerchant,

What Kim has suggested is very very enjoyable trials. In addition I am of my opinion, Kim is an expert in deed. Because I too experienced these four easy hiking trials. Definitely you would come across beautiful panaromic views. I had done my swiss trip as a part my european honeymoon tour 2 years back. Even today i could remember those memorable Picturesque Beauty in all my photos, what i had taken. Following four trials are definitely worth to do.

1. Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg,

2. First to Bachalpsee round trip,
    3. Grütshalp to Mürren,

4. Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg

If you have not yet decided which is your base town in bernese oberland and not yet booked your hotel, could i say something. Lauterbrunnen is my favourite, eventhough it has limited hotel choises. For us Hotel Staubach Lauterbrunnen was a wonderful stay. It is bit expensive but worth the stay. A room with mountain view and balcony in upper floors is the best deal. not other rooms are having best views. If it is within your budget, just check it out.

Following is our hiking plan. you can have a look though

Swiss Day 1

Easy hiking trail from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg up to Breithorn
    Gondola ride up to Murren + Gimmelwald
    Train from murren to Grütschalp
    Easy hiking trail Grütschalp-Winteregg- Murren
    Gondola down to Stechelberg
    Trümmelbachfälls visit
    Swiss Day 2
    Gondola ride from wengen up to Mannlichen
    Easy hiking trail Mannlichen – Kleine Scheidegg (KS)
    Easy hiking trail KS to Wengernalp
    Swiss Day 3
    Gondola ride from Grindelwald to First
    Easy Hiking trail First – Bachalpsee – First
    Easy hiking trail First – Grosse Scheidegg (optional)
    Bus from Grosse Scheidegg to Meringen
    Day trip to aareschlucht+Reichenbach falls from Meringen

• The thread ‘3 days hike in Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.