Fantastic 3 days in Lucerne – our report

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    5 August 2016 at 2:55:07 #854509

Thanks for posting your report and the pictures, and thanks for the tip about the half price ticket for the Transport Museum.

Best Wishes

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2016 at 8:27:21 #854510

Thanks for your coverage Anjan.

I am travelling with my family, God Willing, at the end of this month. On the way to Zurich from Lauterbrunnen, we plan to spend about 10 hours in Lucerne. Can you suggest how we should plan our stay to maximize the benefit, given the duration?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 August 2016 at 12:26:46 #854511

Hi Syedghani-

What is your family like….

Children and their ages? Anyone who does not like to walk very far?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2016 at 13:57:58 #854512

Dear Slowpoke

Children are 11, 15 and 18. We are not avid walkers 🙂 but surroundings can keep us going at some pace.

Not meaning to hijack Anjan’s forum, I am sharing my travel destinations here. Any input to it will be appreciated.

Day1. Train from Zurich airport to Lauterbrunnen

Day2. Brienzer-Rothorn steam train, return journey. Other than the journey itself, what can we explore?

Day3. Lauterbrunnen. to Wengen (train) ; Wengen to Kl Scheidegg (train) ; Kl Scheidegg to Grindelwald Grund (walk); Grindelwald Grund – Maennlichen (Gondola) ; Maennlichen to Wengen (cable car)

Day4: Gondola from Grindelwald to First (what not to be missed?)

Day5: Train from Lauterbrunnen to Bern for day trip

Day6: Train from Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne for day trip and continue on to Zurich airport

By the way, can we stick to our sneakers , or you think it will get too cold on the walks, or soaked / slippery in rain/mud?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 August 2016 at 14:58:58 #854513

Hi Syedghani –

Since your comments and questions are moving past Luzern, and are really focused on the Berner Oberland, perhaps it would be wise to start a new thread with a descriptive title. It makes it easier to follow for others in the future.

Would you mind?

Meanwhile, in case you have not found it, this link might be useful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

Thanks,

Slowpoke

Anjan
    Participant
    27 posts
    6 August 2016 at 16:34:07 #854514

Thanks Alanprice and Alpenrose666.

Anjan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2016 at 18:30:25 #854515

Hi Anjan,

First of all, I’m glad you enjoyed your trip with your family in Switzerland. That made me more excited on our upcoming trip in September. I have almost the exact itineraries like yours. We are coming from Paris then to Switzerland then end in Italy.

I have a few questions to ask you and hope you can give some tips and advice.

1. Train from Interlaken to Venice: I know you’re coming from Lucerne, but I’m pretty sure our train will stop at the same station along the way, like Milano Centrale. Did you pre-purchase your train tickets from Milano Centrale to Venice or did you just buy them at the station?

2. Did you use Swiss money or Euro while in Switzerland?

I’m staying 4 nights in Interlaken and leaving early in the morning on the 5th day. Any suggestion on places to visit during those 4 days?

Thanks again.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 August 2016 at 9:21:02 #854516

Hi Rico2016,

1. Most, if not all trains from Milan to Venice require a seat reservation. If you buy at the station you risk the preferred train being booked out. Also you’ll be spending time on buying tickets while you’re more efficient simply buying them in advance: myswissalps.com/train tickets/italy/price. If you will have a pass for Switzerland you will need tickets from Chiasso (Swiss border) to Venice.

2. The Swiss franc is the only official current. Euro’s are an expensive way to pay and not accepted everywhere. Please see myswissalps.com/ swissfranc.

Please feel free to post further questions in a new thread so more people will notice.

I hope this was useful!

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The thread ‘Fantastic 3 days in Lucerne – our report’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.