3 days venice-switzerland-Paris- Need to reconfirm

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2015 at 10:37:09 #807547

i will be flying in from Venice to Zurich on Aug. 1st with my family ( wife and 2 kids, aged 11 and 17). We are booked for 3 nights at Interlaken ( India guest house-Dont know if thats East or West). and then will move on to Paris. I am planning to buy the Swiss Family card ( Hope that’s the right choice). Please confirm

a) If there is a direct train from Zurich airport to Interlaken OSt or do i need to go to Lucerne first by train

b) Fro Lucerne if I go to Interlaken , will this be the scenic route covered by swiss family pass or do I have to buy Golden Pass for that.

c) From Interlaken we plan to go to Jungraujocj either on 2nd or 3rd depending on weather. Swiss Pass covers that or I have to buy separate tickets? If buy separate, do I buy now or when i reach

d) Finally for going to Paris on 4th, do I have to Go to BASEL first and then take another ticket (eurail) to Paris or will Swiss Travel pass suffice

Just wanted to reconfirm. Still lost after reading forum chat. Hope I have got it right

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 July 2015 at 12:43:22 #844426

Hi fmk1313,

Thanks for your post! The forum threads can be really interesting to read, but I’d recommend to not stick to just the forum. We have lots of useful pages to learn about rail passes and Switzerland. Just click the top menu and go from there.

Your accommodation is about 15 minutes on foot from the Interlaken Ost (East) station. It’s actually right across the river from the station, but you first need to walk to the bridge and then back.

a) There are no direct trains. Please see the timetable for details. If you haven’t booked your plane tickets yet I would recommend to do the entire trip by train. You won’t save much time, or none at all, by flying to Zurich and then back south by train to Interlaken. A train trip takes 6 to 7 hours and is more enjoyable.

b) Golden Pass is a route, not a rail pass. The quickest way from Zurich to Interlaken is not via the Golden Pass, but if you’re willing to spend a little extra time I would recommend this scenic route. You first take a train to Lucerne, then one to Interlaken Ost. It’s all covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. You can’t buy a Swiss Family Card. You can buy a Swiss Travel Pass (see here for retailers) and you can request a free Swiss Family Card when you do so.

c) Please see the Swiss Travel Pass page and click “Where it’s valid”.

d) Your Swiss Travel Pass covers trains to Basel. You just need tickets from Basel to Paris. I’d recommend to order these tickets quickly as they get more expensive as the travel date gets nearer. Please see here.

I noticed you live in Pakistan, so you can order the pass and the tickets from the website below:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2015 at 15:17:59 #844427

Thanks. if i take the train from Venice, will swiss travel pass apply

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 July 2015 at 17:16:16 #844428

The Swiss Travel Pass covers the Swiss leg of that trip: from Domodossola to Interlaken Ost. You would only need tickets from Venice to Domodossola. Your trip could look like this, for example:

• Venice (Venezia Mestre) dep. 8:32 (train 1)
    • Milan arr. 10:55
    • Milan dep. 11:23 (train 2, via Domodossola)
    • Spiez arr. 13:53
    • Spiez dep. 14:05 (train 3)
    • Interlaken Ost arr. 14:28

Please see http://www.raileurope-world.com/train/italia n-international-trains for the tickets. You need to book separate tickets for the legs Venice – Milan and Milan – Domodossola.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2015 at 18:07:29 #844429

Thanks. You have been a great help.

• The thread ‘3 days venice-switzerland-Paris- Need to reconfirm’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.