3 full days in Bernese Oberland region

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2014 at 22:07:10 #806315

We land in Geneva and then catch the train to Murren where we stay for 4 nights.

Not too sure what we will do on our 3 full days. We will make a trip to at least one of the mountain tops (either Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn). We plan to do lots of hiking at a beginner to intermediate level, nothing too extreme. Fitness isn’t the issue, just lack of skill and experience. Any suggestions for day time adventures?

I previously opened a thread (now closed) about travel pass options and have done a lot of reading but would appreciate some confirmation/clarification if anyone is kind enough to offer.

Best passes to suit my itinerary may be:

Swiss Pass ($310 AUD pp):
    – Geneva to Murren. $0
    – Possible day trip to Wengen and then to Grindlerwald: $0 ??
    – Trip to mountain top 25% off ???
    – Murren to domodossola (on the way to venice) from 30.2 CHF ??

Swiss Card ($270 AUD pp):
    – Geneva to Muren: free travel on the first day – $0. By the way, does this free travel include a trip to the mountain top?
    – Possible day trip to Wengen and then to Grindelwald: 50% off ???
    – Trip to mountain top 50% off ???
    – Murren to domodossola (on the way to venice) free travel for last day of card

Swiss Half Fare Card ($153 AUD pp):
    – Geneva to Muren: 50% off ??
    – Possible day trip to Wengen and then to Grindlerwald: 50% off ???
    – Trip to mountain top 50% off ???
    – Murren to domodossola (on the way to venice) 50% off ???

Because we aren’t sure what we are going to do for the 3 full days it’s a little hard to get point to point prices and compare tickets. But really I don’t mind spending a little bit more if it means less hassle and less stress of trying to plan out an exact itinerary in advance. I would very much appreciate any advice on what pass seems to best match the vague itinerary we have.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 April 2014 at 16:49:24 #839769

Hi ezlap,

Thanks for getting back here! The Bernese Oberland page and Jungfrau region page are the best places to look for hiking suggestions and other to do’s.

As for the pass: I assume you have been reading our pass pages for details? Just to be sure, here are the links: Swiss Pass, Swiss Card, Swiss Half Fare Card, Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. You can download maps there and see exactly what is free and discounted, and much more info too.

Note that the Swiss Pass gives you a 50% discount on almost any mountain ride (Schilthorn too), except for the Jungfraujoch (25% off from Wengen or Grindelwald, and free up until that point). The ride to Domodossola is free too.

The Swiss Card does not include free rides to mountain tops, only to your destination town.

I think the regional pass is worth your consideration. It includes pretty much everything in the region for free, with a few exceptions (see the map). So you can just travel as you like, or as the weather dictates, without tickets. If you plan your incoming and outgoing trip strategically (taking the covered routes), most of it would be free too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2014 at 0:59:00 #839770

Thanks for another extremely helpful reply Arno. After more research it does seem like the regional pass will be the best option for us.

I’m a little confused about getting tickets from Geneva to Lauterbrunnen though.

1. Full fare from Geneva to Montreux (17 CHF or approx $21 AUD)

2. Half fare from Montreux to Saanen (6 CHF or just over $7 AUD)

3. Free travel from Saanen to Murren

Does this mean we would need to buy a separate ticket when we arrive at Geneva airport and then another ticket when we arrive at Montreux? Will this mean getting off a possibly direct train (from Geneva to Interlaken) , buying our next ticket and waiting around for the next train?

Also, the only option I can find for purchasing the Regional pass is at the station, is this correct?

Annika
    7104 posts
    19 April 2014 at 8:10:23 #839771

Hi ezlap,

The regional pass will be available online soon (I expect in a week) in the Swiss railways webshop. A direct link will be available here by then.

At Geneva airport, go to the rail station ticket office, show them your regional pass, and explain that you want a full price ticket to Montreux and a half fare ticket from there to Saanen. After Saanen, your pass will cover remaining leg for free. They will issue you one or two tickets so you’re covered for the whole journey. No need to get off along the way (expect to change trains). There’s a faster route via Bern but I would recommend Montreux – Saanen as this is the scenic Golden Pass route.

Likewise on your way to Italy (if your pass is still valid that day): the pass covers the journey to Brig. Mind the route: you need the regional train via Kandersteg, which is a beautiful trip by the way. From Brig, you need a normal ticket and possibly seat reservations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2014 at 10:52:00 #839772

Hello,

I would also greatly appreciate some advice about my travel to BO. Our family plans to fly into Zurich end of June. Our main goal is to get into the BO area & enjoy the scenes for about 3 days. I have 4 daughters ages 7-13 & they can travel for free w/ “family card” if I buy a swiss pass.

I’ve read the different posts about the passes. Here is my question: Are my children also free with the BO regional pass? If so, would it be necessary to purchase the swiss pass, or would I need that just to get from Zurich to the villages inside BO e.g. Murren, Lauterbrunnen, etc. ?

Thanks for any help!

Annika
    7104 posts
    21 April 2014 at 10:59:23 #839773

Hi s1334, welcome to MySwissAlps!

It sounds like the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland would suit your trip too. Did you check our page about the pass? I think it explains everything you need to know. Besides the pass, you would need tickets from Zurich to Bern or Lucerne; after that, the pass will cover your trips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2014 at 16:56:20 #839774

Hi Annika,

Thank you very much for your quick & helpful reply!! Everything sounds good from what you’ve mentioned. The regional BO pass would be perfect for our family as it also includes children under 16 free w/ parent (family card). Then I can get the point to point ticket from Zurich to Lucerne (about 28 CHF one way).

Here’s my next question for clarification…Would my children be able to travel for free on the point-to-point route from Zurich to Lucerne?

Thanks!!

Annika
    7104 posts
    22 April 2014 at 5:48:56 #839775

Hi s1334,

You need Junior travelcards, not the Family Card, see the regional pass page. Other than that it works the same way: children travel along for free, also from Zurich to Lucerne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2014 at 17:22:04 #839776

Hello!

I also need some advice. I will be visiting the Bernese Oberland region for 4 full days. Afterwards I want to take a train from Switzerland to Italy. What pass would you recommend? Also would any of the passes cover the trip from Switzerland to Italy?

Thanks!

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 April 2014 at 18:29:22 #839777

Hi angelaf22,

What’s your point of entry in Switzerland before traveling to the Bernese Oberland? Where in Italy do you go next? Do the transfers to/from the Bernese Oberland fall into the 4 days or is it like day 1 (incoming), day 2-5 (Bernese Oberland), day 6 (outgoing)?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2014 at 19:19:29 #839778

Hi Arno,

We will be flying from the United States to Zurich where we will take a train to Lauterbrunnen. We will visit the area for 4 full days. Then we head to Rome, Italy where we will visit family. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Annika
    7104 posts
    24 April 2014 at 18:36:13 #839779

Hello angelaf22,

You can get a Swiss Transfer Ticket which covers the transfers from Zurich Airport to Lauterbrunnen on day 1 and Lauterbrunnen to Domodossola (Italy) on day 6. And have 4-day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland for the 4 full days in between. The regional pass is not available online yet, but it should be available in the Swiss Railways webshop early next week. They also sell the Swiss Transfer Ticket. Note that this advice assumes you’ll be traveling in the region quite a lot during the 4 days. See here for detailed information on how to pick a pass.

You also need a regular ticket from Domodossola to Rome, unless you have a rail pass for Italy.

See here for more information about the Bernese Oberland.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 April 2014 at 11:24:28 #839780

Update: the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland is now available online through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en/products/regionalbe rneseoberlandpass. This option has also been added to the price overview here.

• The thread ‘3 full days in Bernese Oberland region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.