3 nights and 4 days in switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2015 at 11:18:16 #807211

Hi Guys,

I am planning to stay 3 nights and 4 days in switzerland (6Jul-9Jul). Rough itinerary shown below:

Day -1: Travel early morning from France to Geneva;Spend 2-3 hours in Geneva; Take the train to Zermatt; Spend the evening at Zermatt town; Stay overnight in Zermatt

Day-2: Go to Matterhorn in the morning; Take the train from zermatt to lucerne in the afternoon; Spend the evening at Lucerne city; Stay overnight in Lucerne; Possibly radisson blu

Day-3: Go to Mt. Titilus in the morning; Spend the evening in Lucerne; Stay overnight in Lucerne;

Day-4: Take the Golden passline to interlaken; go around in interlaken; take the normal train back to Zurich; Take the flight from Zurich at 9:00pm

Questions:

I have the following questions around the above days

Day-1: What train ticket options to I have from France to Geneva and internal travel based on my subsequent planned daily trips? Whats there to do in Geneva for a couple of hours? Or am I better off going directly to Zermatt.

Day-2: What trains could I possibly take from Zermatt to Lucerne? Will it be better to buy a swiss travel pass? We are a family of 2 adults and a 3 yr old; do I need to book trip to matterhorn in advance? Is radisson blu any good?

Day-3: Is it better too pre book mt titilus tour. If yes, then any details on how to book this trip would be great

Day-4: Will I save money if I do a round trip on the golden pass line from lucerne to interlaken. Or is there an option to go straight from interlaken to Zurich avoiding lucerne by normal trains. I have an international flight departing Zurich at 9:00pm. So what is the best way to enjoy golden pass line on my last day.

Above all any other suggestions such as more places or less places to visit etc. on the above itinerary would be very helpful.

Is there anyway I could squeeze in a car trip or should i just not bother?

Thanks

Prashant

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    12 May 2015 at 16:54:22 #843015

Hi Prashant,

Thank you for sharing your itinerary here. It’s a pretty full schedule! I would skip Geneva and go straight to Zermatt, and forget about a car trip. I would also skip Interlaken and stay longer in Lucerne instead. Interlaken itself is not worth spending a day; you’d better visit the nearby lakes or the mountains south of town: the Jungfrau region. But with so little time, I would keep things simple and stay in the Lucerne region. There is plenty to see there. You can see (part of) the Golden Pass line anyway when you travel from Zermatt to Lucerne: be sure to travel via Interlaken. All details are in the timetable. The other links I provided should help you find things to do and hotel suggestions. The mountain is called Titlis by the way.

There’s nothing you need to book in advance, other than hotels and your rail pass. No need for guided tours either, but you can check our Titlis pages (and others) for links to such tours if you do prefer them.

As for the rail pass: either a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card will serve you best. Once you’re itinerary is finalized, you can pick the best one, or even do the math.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 May 2015 at 22:18:10 #843016

<<“Day -1: Travel early morning from France to Geneva;Spend 2-3 hours in
    Geneva; Take the train to Zermatt; Spend the evening at Zermatt town;
    Stay overnight in Zermatt “>>

Prasahant –

There may be better train options to Zermatt than going through Geneva, but it depends on where you are coming from in France.

Where do you start in France?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2015 at 10:59:23 #843017

Hi Slowpoke,

Thanks for getting back. I was planning to start early morning from Paris to Geneva. What are my options?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2015 at 11:02:10 #843018

Hi Annika,

Thanks for the speedy response. What are my options in terms of traveling from Paris to Zermatt?

Cheers

Prashant[quote]Annika said:

Hi Prashant,

Thank you for sharing your itinerary here. It’s a pretty full schedule! I would skip Geneva and go straight to Zermatt, and forget about a car trip. I would also skip Interlaken and stay longer in Lucerne instead. Interlaken itself is not worth spending a day; you’d better visit the nearby lakes or the mountains south of town: the Jungfrau region. But with so little time, I would keep things simple and stay in the Lucerne region. There is plenty to see there. You can see (part of) the Golden Pass line anyway when you travel from Zermatt to Lucerne: be sure to travel via Interlaken. All details are in the timetable. The other links I provided should help you find things to do and hotel suggestions. The mountain is called Titlis by the way.

There’s nothing you need to book in advance, other than hotels and your rail pass. No need for guided tours either, but you can check our Titlis pages (and others) for links to such tours if you do prefer them.

As for the rail pass: either a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card will serve you best. Once you’re itinerary is finalized, you can pick the best one, or even do the math.

[/quote]

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 May 2015 at 15:55:19 #843019

[quote]prashant said:

Hi Slowpoke,

Thanks for getting back. I was planning to start early morning from Paris to Geneva. What are my options?

[/quote]

Use the timetable.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Routes via Lausanne or Basel+Bern are a bit shorter.

• The thread ‘3 nights and 4 days in switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.