3 nights and 4 days in switzerland

3 nights and 4 days in switzerland

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
prashant
prashant
3 posts
May 12, 2015 - 11:18 AM

Hi Guys,

I am planning to stay 3 nights and 4 days in switzerland (6Jul-9Jul). Rough itinerary shown below:

Day -1: Travel early morning from France to Geneva;Spend 2-3 hours in Geneva; Take the train to Zermatt; Spend the evening at Zermatt town; Stay overnight in Zermatt

Day-2: Go to Matterhorn in the morning; Take the train from zermatt to lucerne in the afternoon; Spend the evening at Lucerne city; Stay overnight in Lucerne; Possibly radisson blu

Day-3: Go to Mt. Titilus in the morning; Spend the evening in Lucerne; Stay overnight in Lucerne;

Day-4: Take the Golden passline to interlaken; go around in interlaken; take the normal train back to Zurich; Take the flight from Zurich at 9:00pm

Questions:

I have the following questions around the above days

Day-1: What train ticket options to I have from France to Geneva and internal travel based on my subsequent planned daily trips? Whats there to do in Geneva for a couple of hours? Or am I better off going directly to Zermatt.

Day-2: What trains could I possibly take from Zermatt to Lucerne? Will it be better to buy a swiss travel pass? We are a family of 2 adults and a 3 yr old; do I need to book trip to matterhorn in advance? Is radisson blu any good?

Day-3: Is it better too pre book mt titilus tour. If yes, then any details on how to book this trip would be great

Day-4: Will I save money if I do a round trip on the golden pass line from lucerne to interlaken. Or is there an option to go straight from interlaken to Zurich avoiding lucerne by normal trains. I have an international flight departing Zurich at 9:00pm. So what is the best way to enjoy golden pass line on my last day.

Above all any other suggestions such as more places or less places to visit etc. on the above itinerary would be very helpful.

Is there anyway I could squeeze in a car trip or should i just not bother?

Thanks

Prashant

Last modified on May 12, 2015 - 11:58 AM by prashant
Annika
Annika
4415 posts
expert &
May 12, 2015 - 4:54 PM

Hi Prashant,

Thank you for sharing your itinerary here. It's a pretty full schedule! I would skip Geneva and go straight to Zermatt, and forget about a car trip. I would also skip Interlaken and stay longer in Lucerne instead. Interlaken itself is not worth spending a day; you'd better visit the nearby lakes or the mountains south of town: the Jungfrau region. But with so little time, I would keep things simple and stay in the Lucerne region. There is plenty to see there. You can see (part of) the Golden Pass line anyway when you travel from Zermatt to Lucerne: be sure to travel via Interlaken. All details are in the timetable. The other links I provided should help you find things to do and hotel suggestions. The mountain is called Titlis by the way.

There's nothing you need to book in advance, other than hotels and your rail pass. No need for guided tours either, but you can check our Titlis pages (and others) for links to such tours if you do prefer them.

As for the rail pass: either a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card will serve you best. Once you're itinerary is finalized, you can pick the best one, or even do the math.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2645 posts
expert
May 12, 2015 - 10:18 PM in reply to prashant

<<"Day -1: Travel early morning from France to Geneva;Spend 2-3 hours in
Geneva; Take the train to Zermatt; Spend the evening at Zermatt town;
Stay overnight in Zermatt ">>

Prasahant -

There may be better train options to Zermatt than going through Geneva, but it depends on where you are coming from in France.

Where do you start in France?

prashant
prashant
3 posts
May 13, 2015 - 10:59 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke,

Thanks for getting back. I was planning to start early morning from Paris to Geneva. What are my options?

prashant
prashant
3 posts
May 13, 2015 - 11:02 AM in reply to Annika

Hi Annika,

Thanks for the speedy response. What are my options in terms of traveling from Paris to Zermatt?

Cheers

Prashant

Annika said:

Hi Prashant,

Thank you for sharing your itinerary here. It's a pretty full schedule! I would skip Geneva and go straight to Zermatt, and forget about a car trip. I would also skip Interlaken and stay longer in Lucerne instead. Interlaken itself is not worth spending a day; you'd better visit the nearby lakes or the mountains south of town: the Jungfrau region. But with so little time, I would keep things simple and stay in the Lucerne region. There is plenty to see there. You can see (part of) the Golden Pass line anyway when you travel from Zermatt to Lucerne: be sure to travel via Interlaken. All details are in the timetable. The other links I provided should help you find things to do and hotel suggestions. The mountain is called Titlis by the way.

There's nothing you need to book in advance, other than hotels and your rail pass. No need for guided tours either, but you can check our Titlis pages (and others) for links to such tours if you do prefer them.

As for the rail pass: either a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card will serve you best. Once you're itinerary is finalized, you can pick the best one, or even do the math.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2645 posts
expert
May 13, 2015 - 3:55 PM in reply to prashant

prashant said:

Hi Slowpoke,

Thanks for getting back. I was planning to start early morning from Paris to Geneva. What are my options?

Use the timetable.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Routes via Lausanne or Basel+Bern are a bit shorter.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016