3/6/16-28/8/16- what travel pass to purchase?

3/6/16-28/8/16- what travel pass to purchase?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
ceara1795
ceara1795
2 posts
May 11, 2016 - 5:42 PM

Hi,

I am travelling to Switzerland on the 3rd of June and will be staying there until 27th of August. I will be flying into Zurich and will working at the Paul Scherrer Institute and hopefully staying there or near PSI Villigen. I will also be going on many activities and trips with the organisation IAESTE.

I am a student and under the age of 26. I know there are many travel passes and I am confused as to what the right one for me will be. So my question is which travel pass will suit me best? And how can I purchase them.

Many Thanks

Ceara Barnes

Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
May 11, 2016 - 5:56 PM

Welcome Ceara,

Good to hear you wil be able to combine work and sightseeing. Can you provide a bit more information on how many days you'll be doing day trips, and where to?

All our rail pass pages have a Price tab listing the best places to buy.

Last modified on May 11, 2016 - 5:57 PM by Annika
ceara1795
ceara1795
2 posts
May 11, 2016 - 6:12 PM in reply to Annika

Hi,

thank you for replying so quickly, it will mainly be evenings and weekends maybe 2-3 times a week! Some weekend trips will be for a whole weekend.

I know of the types of cards like the half off rail card and the gleiss 7 but I am still unsure.

Thanks

Ceara

Arno
Arno
7716 posts
expert &
May 12, 2016 - 5:30 AM in reply to ceara1795

Hi Ceara,

Gleis 7 is a card for Swiss youth allowing traveling after 7 PM only. I don't know much about that option but I don't think it suits your plan. A Swiss Half Fare Card is your best option I would say. It offers 50% off nearly all trips in Switzerland. Another option is the Swiss Travel Pass Flex, if you intend to make a few longer trips. You will get a 15% discount on it as you qualify as youth. Please find further details here:

Last modified on May 12, 2016 - 5:31 AM by Arno
Kentuckey1
Kentuckey1
25 posts
May 12, 2016 - 1:37 PM

Hi, which website should I buy my eurail pass? Do they allow printing of tickets from home? Do they allow reservation for the trains and is there a fee for train reservation? Tks so much

Arno
Arno
7716 posts
expert &
May 12, 2016 - 1:55 PM in reply to Kentuckey1

Hi Kentuckey1,

All options are listed here on the Eurail Select Pass page. Please post further questions in a new thread. The current thread is about Ceara's questions and not related to this.

Kentuckey1
Kentuckey1
25 posts
May 12, 2016 - 2:17 PM

Hi, tks so much. sorry for the inconvenience.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016