3d/2n trip to Interlaken in mid-July?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2013 at 5:57:16 #806037

Hi. I’m going for a 3 day 2 night trip to Switzerland. As of now, I plan to fly to Zurich and travel to Interlaken the very same day and spend the night there. The next morning I plan to go to Jungfraujoch. The day after that I would like to visit Mt. Titlis but return to Interlaken for the night. So these are my questions:
    1. What time of day is best for the Jungfrau visit? What time should I leave Interlaken? And how much time will I be spending on the mountain? Will the visit be done in 7-8 hours [including a stopover at Grindelwald]?
    2. I know Titlis is pretty far from Interlaken, but I would prefer to stay in one place so that I don’t have to keep packing and unpacking. So, how long will the whole Interlaken-Titlis visit take? What time should I set off from Interlaken?
    3. What pass should I get? I’ve been reading up on this, but now I’m just very confused. 5 of us will be travelling, all 18 and above but below 50. Any suggestions?
    4. Any chocolate factories in the area that are open to visitors?

5. Also, is vegetarian/vegan food readily available?
    I realize I’ve asked a whole bunch of questions, very sorry about that. Thanks for any help!
    Leon

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    2 June 2013 at 9:05:51 #838815

Welcome Leon!

1. Generally skies are clearer in the (early) morning, so that’s often the best time of the day for a visit to the Jungfraujoch. There are no guarantees though and you can best check local weather forecasts the day before for up to date information. You can plan your trip with the aid of the timetable. The trip will take (at least) half a day. Assuming you’ll be visiting early in the morning, you will still have time to plan another activity in the afternoon.

2. The timetable allows you to plan the trip to the Titlis (enter ‘Kleintitlis’) as well. This trip will take a whole day from Interlaken and I think you should reconsider it. The Interlaken region is stunning and you could easily spend the other day here too. This list provides an overview of nearby day trips and attractions.

3. Which pass is best, depends on your final itinerary and personal preferences. In your case, I think it’s worth to look in to Swiss Half Fare Cards. If you prefer not having to buy discounted tickets for many trips, you may consider a 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass for all five of you.

4. Chocolate factories are in Broc and Flawil, but both are far off from Interlaken and thus hard to incorporate in such a short stay. You can visit the daily chocolate show in restaurant Schuh in Interlaken though.

5. Don’t worry about vegetarian food: both supermarkets and restaurants offer a wide variety of vegetarian food. I’m less sure about vegan. I think that in most cases the chef will be able to make a plate that meets your wishes if you ask for it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2013 at 0:51:49 #838816

Thank you for your reply, Annika! I just have a couple more questions – I’ve read that there’s been a lot of flooding in central Europe. So, are there chances of this happening between the 10th and 20th of July too? And are walking shoes suitable for moving around [I don’t really plan on going hiking or anything]?

Leon

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 June 2013 at 1:58:15 #838817

Hi Leon,

Severe flooding problems are quite exceptional, but there’s always a chance. It’s difficult to estimate what will happen in July. If there has been a huge amount of rain in the prior days then it might happen again. Walking shoes would be fine if you’re not going to do any hiking.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2013 at 12:41:58 #838818

Thanks for your reply, Arno! I hope it doesn’t rain much. Really looking forward to Switzerland! 😀

Leon

• The thread ‘3d/2n trip to Interlaken in mid-July?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.