3D2N Zurich-Interlaken-Geneva, which pass to buy?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2011 at 0:31:35 #804524

Hi,

I will be travelling to Europe with my brother and we plan to stop by Switzerland for 3 days 2 nights.

Day 1: London to Zurich then take train to go to Interlaken OST. Stay in Interlaken.
    Day 2: Interlaken OST to Jungfraujoch (Interlaken OST-Lauterbrunnen-Wengen) and hike down from Kleine Scheidegg to Grindelwalk. Continue by rail down the valley to Interlaken. Stay in Interlaken.
    Day 3: Interlaken to Geneva. We will take train to Geneva early in the morning and will go to the airport directly to put down our luggage then touring Geneva (Geneva’s quays and old town) for half a day before our flight departure at 3 something.

Could you please advise me which type of travelling card or pass is more suitable for my trip? Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 July 2011 at 3:35:24 #833599

Hi daphnedo00! Both a Swiss Half Fare Card and a Swiss Card would be a good option for your itinerary. The Swiss Card would be slightly more expensive (about CHF 8.00), but the the advantage offered by the Swiss Card over the Swiss Half Fare Card is that it offers a free inbound and outbound trip. This would mean that your travels on day 1 (Zurich Airport-Interlaken) and 3 (Interlaken-Geneva) are covered and that you don’t have to buy any other (discounted) tickets for these trips, whereas the Swiss Half Fare Card requires you to buy 50% discounted tickets for all trips. So that’s just a matter of convenience and personal preference. I hope this helps to make a decision!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2011 at 10:52:16 #833600

Thanks for your quick response and assistance.

We have decided to buy Swiss Card. You help us to save a lot as initially we planned to buy Swiss Pass which is much more expensive.

May we find out from you again what type of card we should buy in addition to Swiss Card to travel within Geneva for half a day?

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 July 2011 at 15:53:07 #833601

Hi daphnedo00! You can either buy regular tickets for trams and buses in Geneva (as the validity of the Swiss Card ends indeed right after your return trip Interlaken-Geneva), or go for the Swiss Half Fare Card instead of the Swiss Card after all. The Swiss Half Fare Card will also be valid for 50% reduced trips within Geneva. I don’t think there will be that much difference in price between both options – again, the Swiss Half Fare Card will be a bit cheaper -, so you should base your decision on convenience instead. There’s no separate card for Geneva that’s applicable to you. A Geneva Transport Card does exist, but that’s only for hotel guests, and I’m not aware of any other options. Does that answer your question? Best regards,

• The thread ‘3D2N Zurich-Interlaken-Geneva, which pass to buy?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.