4 Day Itinerary: Lucerne-Interlake-Zermatt-Bern?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2015 at 0:27:47 #808103

Hi,

I’ve crafted an itinerary for 4 days in Switzerland from November 21-24. Could you please provide feedback as to whether this is feasible? I am unsure whether there is too much travel/train time involved. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Sat Nov 21 – Arrive to ZRH at 6:15AM- First day of 4-day Swiss Rail Pass- Day trip to Lucerne via GoldenPass Line, Visit Mt. Pilatus and Chapel Bridge- Return to Zurich, stay overnight (I have a free hotel room in Zurich, so I will return there instead of staying in Lucerne)

Sun Nov 22- Take 6:05AM GoldenPass Line Train from ZRH to Interlaken Ost- Drop bag at hotel 15 minutes’ walk from station- Visit Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald- Stay overnight in Interlaken

Mon Nov 23- Take 7:30AM train from Interlaken Ost to Zermatt (Transfer at Spiez and Visp)- Drop bag at hotel 15 minutes’ walk from station- Visit Matterhorn- Stay overnight in Zermatt

Tues Nov 24- Last day of 4-day Swiss Rail Pass- Spend the day in either Zermatt or Bern depending on weather conditions- Stay overnight in Bern (arrive to hotel by 10PM)Weds Nov 25- Take 6:00AM train from Bern to ZRH Airport- Board 10:00AM flight at ZRH

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 November 2015 at 1:40:12 #846886

The Golden Pass trains or routing do not cover your travel on the first couple of days. You can use regular trains.

There is no 0600 train from Bern to ZFH on the 15th. There is an 0602 direct arriving at 0716, which should be OK for a 1000 flight. Confirm with your airline.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l

Slowpoke

Annika
    7104 posts
    8 November 2015 at 13:12:45 #846887

Hi m3l4n13, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You’ll be spending quite some time on train traveling. If you want to include Zermatt and arrive/depart from Zurich, that’s inevitable though; it’s simply a long journey. Your plans are certainly doable if you don’t mind a few longer journeys. I recommend that you check the timetable to find traveling times for all trips, and then decide whether you’re fine with that.

Mind that you can’t actually get up to the Matterhorn, but there are sites offering perfect views of this mountains, like Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn.

You may want to decide to travel straight to Zurich on November 24 and stay in an airport hotel or a hotel in the city center. Personally I’d prefer that over having to get from Bern to the airport first, if you have to board at 10 am.

I’m not sure if you’ve already bought your 4 day Swiss Travel Pass. If not, I’d advise to do so soon. Purchase options are listed at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price. As you’ll see, buying online is cheaper than in Switzerland, but delivery through your cheapest reseller http://www.raileurope-world.com does take 8 business days.

• The thread ‘4 Day Itinerary: Lucerne-Interlake-Zermatt-Bern?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.