4 day itinerary September and pass advice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2015 at 6:18:07 #807864

Hello all,

I will be visiting Switzerland next week and have drawn an itinerary based on the experiences/queries posted by people in this very useful forum (many thanks to the forum members and the moderators who have maintained this forum).

My tentative plan is:

• Day1: Zurich: Spend a couple of hours at Rhine falls and then return back to Zurich. Go around the down-town and the national museum. Lastly, do a boat-ride for lake Zurich
    • Day2: Go around Lucerne lake and city centre. Visit Mount Titlis
    • Day3: Visit Mount Rigi. And do a panoramic train trip, (Golden Pass) from Lucerne to Montreaux. Reach Geneva
    • Day4: Spend time in Geneva and return back to BaselI will be based in Baar for the first two days and will stay in Geneva for one night.

I would appreciate if you could answer a few queries that I have:

1) Is this trip feasible or is it an over-kill? Should I cut down on a few attractions or possibly add more?

2) Is the pass valid for 96 hours from the time it is validated?

3) I was looking at the various swiss travel pass promotional offers and I understand that I get a 20% off on the Swiss pass since I am travelling from Germany. Could you please confirm?

Thanks and regards,

Prashant Patil

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 September 2015 at 11:23:51 #845850

Hello Prashant,

Thank you for the friendly words about our forum! As for your questions:

1) It is quite a lot. I doubt if you can do all of that on day 1. It’s good to start with the Rhine Fall and then proceed to Zurich. Mind the opening hours of the museum. Note that the train ride on day 3 takes 6 to 7 hours, so you best start the day early.

2) A 4-day Swiss Travel Pass is valid for full days. The activation time does not matter. Please see here for how it works.

3) If you order through the UK website of the Swiss Railways you can indeed get a 20% discount. Please see http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk/en/node/66 for all the details. Don’t wait too long with your order. Even though this is a “print at home” pass, processing the order takes up to 3 business days. Today you can order for September 7 or later, for example.

Enjoy your stay!

Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2015 at 5:33:57 #845851

Thanks Arno for the quick reply.

I will keep in mind your advice while I am in Switzerland.

Just one question, I was trying to book my travel pass via the swiss railway UK website. However, I do not see any discounted price for a 4 day pass even though the website claims to offer 20% discount for this period (1 September – 31 December). Could you please advise me on this?

See the link below:

http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk/en/node/66

Thanks a ton for your help.

Prashant.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 September 2015 at 6:40:36 #845852

Hi Prashant,

Their website is not very clear indeed, I’ll ask them about that. But the prices they show are correct: the 4-day pass only costs GBP 134, which is less than a 3-day pass and much less than the normal price of CHF 251 (GBP 169). So it’s all fine, it’s just their page that’s a bit confusing.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2015 at 20:00:26 #845853

Thanks Arno for the response. I just bought the tickets using the swiss railway UK website.

Cheers,

Prashant

• The thread ‘4 day itinerary September and pass advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.