4 day saver pass or 50% discount pass

4 day saver pass or 50% discount pass

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
mactoolsix
mactoolsix
4 posts
Feb 9, 2011 - 8:16 PM
Who said traveling by rail in Europe is easy - guess the hardest part is figuring out what pass to use?

My wife (age 57) and I (63) will traveling from Zurich to venice in Sept. Trying to compare the 2nd class Saver & Discount Passes. Prices are USD for the two of us.

Date . . . . . . . . . . . . .50% / 4 day Saver
9/12 Pass prices . . . . 222 / 474
9/12 Zurich to Lucerne . 29 / 0
9/13 Mt Rigi . . . . . . . .111 / 0
9/14 Lucerne-Engelberg R/T 34 / 0
9/15 Wilhelm Tell Express . . 82 / 82
expires
9/16 San Salvatore . . . . . 30 / 59 I assume this qualifies for 50% discount?
9/17 Bus Lugano to Menaggio ? ? Don't know the price? Pass discount?
9/19 Buses around Lake Como
9/20 Train to Milano Centrale - Ferrovie Nord
9/20 Train to Venice - Trenitalia

Questions: Do the above prices look correct? (USD for two)
Is the San Salvatore funicular discounted 50%?
Price of bus trips to Menaggio & around Lake Como? Discount deals available?

Thank you for your assistance!!!
Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
Feb 10, 2011 - 4:25 AM
Hello mactoolsix! For your travel scheme, the Swiss Half Fare Card is cheaper than a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass. This is true for the first four days of your stay already, and on top of this you'd miss out on discounts during the last days in Lugano. The Swiss Half Fare Card offers a 50% discount on both the cable car to Monte San Salvatore and on the bus trip form Lugano to Menaggio (which is CHF 24.00). Bus tours around lake Como, which is in Italy, aren't included in Swiss railway passes. The map we link to at the Swiss Half Fare Card page, under the header 'Swiss Half Fare Card features', shows exactly which routes are included. Prices can be found in the Swiss timetable. The rail FAQ may be of help too.

I hope this helps you decide!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016