4 Days Switzerland: Zurich, Merligen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2016 at 22:39:08 #809883

Hello Everyone!

I will be travelling from Paris to Zurich, Switzerland next month for 4 days and 3 nights, along with my pregnant wife.(12 weeks) Request your help in validating my itenary with suggestions:

Day 1: Arrive in Zürich at 11am. Go to Rhine Falls at around 2pm and after coming back visit Zurich and Lake Zurich. Spend night at Zurich.

Day 2: Check out early morning and go to either Mt. Titlis (Option A) or Mt Pilatus (Option B) along with luggage (which should not be heavy). Around 2pm leave for Interlakken(Merligen). Overnight stay at Merligen. Please suggest here which option would be better.

Day 3: Take train to Jungfraujoch early morning; Jungfraujoch to Gstaad (1pm – 5pm) ; Gstaad to Merligen (6pm – 8pm)

Day 4: Leave Merligen for Venice early in the morning.

Does this seem reasonable? Do you have any other suggestions? Any offers for pregnant women. Should i carry letter from doctor to travel to Jungfraujoch?

Can i leave my luggage at Luzern/Engelberg stations and how much are the charges?

Its my first trip to Switzerland so i am very confused. I would like to know if Swiss Travel pass is beneficial. Also on Day 4 should i take the Swiss pass? and how best do i go to Venice (considering i can catch train from Spiez)

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 August 2016 at 13:25:05 #855146

Welcome to MySwissAlps joyjyoti!

Day 2: it’s much more convenient without luggage or just one small backpack. You can store your luggage at the train station in Lucerne or Engelberg. Lockers are CHF 9 or less, depending on the size.

Day 3: I would not travel to Gstaad for just one hour there. There so much to see much closer to Merligen. A visit to the Beatus Caves, the Niederhorn or Mount Niesen for example. Or a ride to Schynige Platte (from Wilderswil), which is free with a Swiss Travel Pass.

You should ask your doctor whether your wife can visit places at high altitude like Jungfraujoch. A letter won’t be necessary; at least I’ve never heard of it.

A Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days would work well. Please find details and the best sites to purchase from here: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass. The pass covers the trip to Venice until the Swiss border (see the map), so you need a ticket from there to Venice: myswissalps.com/ traintickets/italy/ price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2016 at 22:24:26 #855147

Hi Arno,

Thank you so much for the tips on places near to Merligen. I had never heard of those and if not for you i might have missed those. I would definitely visit Beatus Caves and the Niederhorn on Day 2.

We being Indians, its a must to travel Gstaad. You must know the craze behind it. 🙂

Thanks for your tips to travel to the Swiss border which is Domodossala. A 4 day pass would definitely be useful. Many many thanks.

Cheers,

Joy

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 August 2016 at 11:53:28 #855148

Hi Joy,

Yes, I know many are interested in the Bollywood locations around Gstaad and Saanen. Well, if you go there, Gstaad is a bit bigger so a better choice (I think) than Saanen.

Your can print your Swiss Travel Pass at home. You can have the pass e-mailed to you in 1-3 business days. Please see myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ price.

• The thread ‘4 Days Switzerland: Zurich, Merligen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.