What rail pass for 4 days in Muerren and to Stresa

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2016 at 20:48:03 #809908

Hi all,

We are coming to the BO (Muerren) from Paris. We already have the TGV ticket to Basel so we need tickets from there to Muerren.

We plan to stay 4 days in Muerren and the BO (Jungfrau mostly). We would like to hike the area and go to the Jungfraujoch.

In the 5th day, we need to go to Stresa (Italy) as we rented a car there.

1. What is the best rail pass for us?

2. Do we need to reserve the train to Stresa in advance?

Thank you!

Cesar

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    17 August 2016 at 10:01:28 #855191

Hi Cesar,

This question has been addressed in your previous topic: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/help-on-choosing-rail-passes. I too think that either the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi or the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland will work out for you.

Yes, most outbound trains require seat reservations indeed. So you’d need a seat reservation for the international stretch to Stresa plus a regular full fare ticket for the leg of your journey that’s not covered by your pass. Please find details at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2016 at 18:44:30 #855192

Hi Annika,

Wasn´t sure how to reply on the original post. Sorry about that.

1. I see there is another regional pass for the Junfrau region only, does this pass covers more transport options than the RPBO?

2. For what I see, I need to take a train from Spiez to Stresa (Eurocity). This is the train I need to reserve? Spiez-Domodosola with my Swiss rail pass and Domodosola-Stresa in trenitalia.com (full fare)?

Thanks!

Cesar

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 August 2016 at 19:07:22 #855193

Hi Cesar,

1. You can consider this option: myswissalps.com/ jungfrautravelpass. It covers a very limited area, see the map please.

2. Yes, but for which leg you need a ticket depends on which pass you are going to choose for Switzerland. You only need a ticket (which includes a reservation) for the leg not covered by the pass. You can buy the ticket from any website selling Trenitalia tickets (see the last link Annika gave you). Possibly from the same website where you will buy your pass. Anyway, you first need to select a pass and ticket, then decide where to buy.

• The thread ‘What rail pass for 4 days in Muerren and to Stresa’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.