4 or 8 days swisspass for a 6 days trip in Switz?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2011 at 10:25:49 #804157

Hi there,

This is my first time planning my backpacking trip, and also first time to Switzerland! ( i will be in switzerland during the last week of May)

Would really appreciate some input on what is the best deals.

I will be in Switzerland for 6 days, travelling from Paris to Geneva.

On the 1st day, after reaching Geneva (approx 2:30pm), i want to travel directly to Montreux, where I will visit the Chateau de Chillon. Also, im not sure if i have enough time to drop by Levey les bains.

Overnight:Montreux

2nd day, visit to Gruyere and Broc for the cheese and chocolate factory, i understand the train only operate on Mon, Wed and Thursday. Too bad my 2nd day is on tuesday. So i will be doing my own journey to visit the places. After that maybe go down to Lausanne for a visit, or make a visit to Levey les bains (if i didnt manage to go on 1st day)

Overnight:Montreux

3rd day, catch early Golden Pass train (9:45am) to interlaken, where i will hang out for a while do some sightseeing and shopping, then proceed to Lauterbrunnen to overnight.

Overnight: Lauterbrunnen

4th day, Visit to either Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn. After that, visit wengen/murren/ grindelwald, depending on the timing, im not sure here. If there is nothing much, visit interlaken again.

Overnight:Lauterbrunnen / Interlaken

5th day, travel from Interlaken to luzern. During visit in luzern, make a short trip to Zurich as well, but come back and overnight at Luzern.

Overnight: Luzern

6th day, Luzern travel to Lugano via boat to fluelen and direct train to Lugano. Visit to Fox town for a shopping spree. After that , head to Milan.

No overnight in Lugano.

i’ve tried doing the point to point calculation, but my mathematics fail me terribly, becuz there are some itinerary i am not that confirmed yet. Would like to get expert and experienced travelers in swiss, what kind of pass should i get for this trip.

Also, im open to suggestions on my itinerary, as this is my 1st time.

Thank you so much!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    14 March 2011 at 16:00:21 #832303

Hi limvivien! It’s quite hard indeed to calculate which pass is best, as you’re not completely sure of your travel plans. If you’d restrict your travelling during the first two days to a minimum (that is: Geneva-Montreux on the first day and Montreux-Broc-Montreux on the second day), it would be about CHF 60.00 cheaper to purchase a 4 day Swiss Pass and cover day 3, 4, 5 and 6 with it, paying the regular full fare during the first two days (compared to an 8 day Swiss Pass). However, if you want to be able to add more journeys during these first days (for example getting to Lausanne and back, making a boat trip over lake Geneva, and so on), I would advise to buy an 8 day Swiss Pass. The price difference between both options isn’t that big, and an 8 day pass allows you to travel for free during all days and adjust your itinerary at any given moment, to weather circumstances for example.

I hope this helps you decide! By the way, your itinerary looks fine to me. You’ve selected a schedule that allows you to get an impression of some beautiful Swiss regions. It may result in some full tavel days though, for example at day 5, when getting to both Luzern and Zurich. You may also choose to explore only one of these towns more thoroughly, but that’s a matter of personal preference or course. The Swiss timetable can help you out here, as it shows exactly how long your trips will take.

Good luck on your further preparation, and please feel free to post other questions here as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2011 at 12:02:49 #832304

Thanks Annika,

I suppose there is no prefect pass to purchase.

However, i read from a website, if i visit montreux, there will be a riviera card.

Will that card cover my trip up to gruyere?

Thanks!!

Annika
    7116 posts
    15 March 2011 at 12:29:47 #832305

Hi limvivien. Specifics on the Montreux Riviera Card can be found here. A PDF file with a validity map can be downloaded from this web page too. As you can see, the Montreux Riviera Card is valid in the immediate surroundings of Montreux, but it won’t cover your trip to Gruyères and Broc. It may cover the trip to Chateau de Chillon, but then you’d have to get to your hotel first (as the Montreux Riviera Card will be given to you on your arrival in the hotel/holiday apartment).

• The thread ‘4 or 8 days swisspass for a 6 days trip in Switz?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.