4* Sunstar Alpine Wengen or 3* Bellevue in Murren

• msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    25 May 2015 at 9:05:42 #807288

Hi

I had almost finalized everything but I realized that if I shift my base from Wengen to Murren I can save CHF 400 on my hotel that I can use on something else.

4 star Sunstar Alpine Hotel in Wengen is CHF 1060 for 4 nights.
    3 Star Bellevue in Murren in CHF 660 for 4 nights.

I am going to do the following:

Jungfraujoch Top , Mannlichen to Kleinn Scheidegg Hike
    Grutschalp to Murren Hike
    First to Bachalpsee Hike
    Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg Hike
    Trummelbach Falls and Staubbach Falls

If you were in my place, would you choose Murren and the Bellevue Hotel to save CHF 400 ?? Please note that I will be having a 8 Day Swiss Pass. Will I be incurring any other hidden costs I am unaware of if I stay in Murren?

Thanks a lot!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    26 May 2015 at 4:41:01 #843397

Hi msra7hm2,

The day trips you’ve listed can be done from Mürren just as well. I’m not sure what you mean by hidden costs, but transportation to Mürren is free with a Swiss Travel Pass, please see here.

Enjoy your stay!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 May 2015 at 6:52:33 #843398

<<“I had almost finalized everything but I realized that if I shift my basefrom Wengen to Murren I can save CHF 400 on my hotel that I can use onsomething else.

4 star Sunstar Alpine Hotel in Wengen is CHF 1060 for 4 nights.
    3 Star Bellevue in Murren in CHF 660 for 4 nights. “>>

Hi Msra7mh2-

I do not know anything about either hotel.

I do know that, in the ranking system of the Swiss Hotel Federation, the number of stars indicates the type of amenities, not the cleanliness of the hotel. More stars, more amenities – such as swimming pool, sauna, features/ furniture in the rooms ( a desk or writing table, for example.), reception staffed for longer hours, etc..

Although I am not suggesting that a swimming pool is the difference, there will some facilities or amenities at a 4 star hotel that are not present at a 3 star hotel. You might consider that a kind of hidden “cost” to use the term very very loosely.

Here is more than you ever wanted to know about the Star ratings of Hotels in Switzerland

http://www.hotelleriesuisse.c h/files/pdf8/Kriterie nkatalog_Normen_2015_2 020_CH_en1.pdf

I am quite comfortable staying in 2 star and 3 star hotels, but will sometimes go higher if there is a special restaurant, special views, or preferred location. Then I pay more.

Some of your planned hikes may take a few more minutes to reach them from Mürren than from Wengen; others may be easier from Mürren. The differences are not significant, in my opinion, except for access to or from Männlichen. That is easy from Wengen, but requires some more travel from Mürren. And, on the othr hand, obviously, a hike starting in Mürren is further from Wengen. 😉

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    26 May 2015 at 12:43:40 #843399

//The day trips you’ve listed can be done from Mürren just as well. I’m not sure what you mean by hidden costs, but transportation to Mürren is free with a Swiss Travel Pass, please see here.//

I meant extra costs in terms of going to Lauterbrunnen every time I want to go for a hike but you cleared that now saying Murren to Lauterbrunnen is covered by the Swiss Pass. Thanks

I will not be using the spa and swimming pool kind of activities because most of the day will be spent out in the mountains hiking 🙂 Otherwise, how do you compare Wengen and Murren? Is it worth giving up a bigger village to save CHF 400??

On a slight tangent, how do I do Grutschalp to Murren hike if I am already staying in Murren? Do I go to Grutschalp first and come back to Murren or can I go Murren to Grutschalp? Any difference in the views?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 May 2015 at 12:54:10 #843400

<<“On a slight tangent, how do I do Grutschalp to Murren hike if I am already staying in Murren? Do I go to Grutschalp first and come back to Murren or can I go Murren to Grutschalp? Any difference in the views?”>>

Bwetter to walk toward Mürren so the Jungfrau Massif is visible without turning around every few minutes. Altitude difference is about 150 meters, but at that altitude it should not be troublesome.

map.geo.admin.ch/?X=15 8801.18&Y=635300.58&zo om=6&lang=en&topic=swi sstopo&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe

• The thread ‘4* Sunstar Alpine Wengen or 3* Bellevue in Murren’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.