48 hours in the Jungfraujoch region in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 6:26:54 #811761

Hello everyone!

First I want to say this website is amazing, I’ll be a few days in Switzerland at the end of the month and I found almost everything I need here.

I’ll be spending 48 hours in the Jungfraujoch region, with Interlaken as my base. The top-two activities I want to do are visit the Jungfraujoch and the Trummelbach Falls. My plan is as follows:

I’ll arrive in Interlaken just before 1 pm. I plan to take the next train possible to Jungfrau, arriving to the top around 3-3:30 pm and staying there up to the last train (not planning on hiking there really).

Next day I want to start early and go to Schynige Platte, do a little bit of hiking as described here http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/schynigeplatte/ro ute, then go back to Lauterbrunnen and hike to Stechelberg with a detour to the Trümmelbach Falls.

Last day I plan to leave to Luzern around 2 pm, so I was planning to do some hiking in Grütschalp – Mürren as described here http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/gruetschalp-muerren/route and maybe go up to the Schilthorn though I don’t know if I will have enough time.

My questions for the many experts here is, do you think my plan is doable? Am I overdoing it? Is the second day too little and maybe I could squeeze something else in there? Should I skip the hiking in Grütschalp and go straight to the Schilthorn the last day?

I was planning on buying tickets beforehand but I read that is best to wait because of the weather, so for example if the first day the Jungfraujoch is not possible, I could switch something. Anyway, any word of advice is welcomed, I can’t wait for this trip!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 17:35:12 #863094

Hi Supernova and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think your schedule is fairly doable yes – my only concern would be the last day but again if you get an early start and are ok with longer days I think it is fine, and of course everything is weather dependent.

Also, some hiking trails may still be closed due to snow conditions in Late May still (especially Schynige Platte) so be aware of that an be flexible!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 18:25:27 #863095

Hi,

I too have been planning to go to Jungfrau region towards may end.

My advice based on advice received from others

1) Jungfrau is better done in morning. So plan for day 2 and in case you have weather issues, you have day 3 as well.

2) if you plan to return via Grindelwald. the plan schynige platte. You definitely need to check its openings date. If I remember properly, it is not opening until 25th.

3),Stechelberg, Falls, Murren, Schilthorn, hiking from Grustchalp.. All are in the same direction. You can do it in day 3.

4) You may want to look at First and hiking in that region on day 1.

Look at a map and train timetables to plan out your itinerary.

I had received one from jungfrau website or contact mentioned on there website..

Hope this helps.

Namrata

drrpkesav
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 May 2017 at 17:51:30 #863096

Hi supernova and namrata,

Even I am planning on a two day base in Interlaken and travel to Jungfrau region. I had planned for just the Lake Thun and Lake Brienz boat rides on the second day since am not much of a hiking guy. But since I am travelling alone and do not have much guidance on this, I would like to take your opinions and your plans and any other interesting things that is feasible. I will be in Interlaken towards May end.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 4:17:09 #863097

Hi,

Additional places on my itinerary are : Harder Kulm, Giessbach falls on Lake Brienz and Sherlock Holmes museum in Meiringen.

We love nature walking and the trails I have selected are small and easy.

Namrata

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 7:31:56 #863098

Hi drrpkesav,

Here are a few pages with recommended activities in the area:

1. Thun
    2. Brienz
    3. Interlaken

There are many easy options for you to do nearby Interlaken! Trümmelbachfäll is also a great option for an easy day trip near Lauterbrunnen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2017 at 22:56:15 #863099

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! The date is getting near and I can’t wait!

• The thread ‘48 hours in the Jungfraujoch region in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.