4-day trip Zurich-Lucerne-Interlaken on a budget

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2017 at 11:52:48 #812416

Firstly, Thank you Arno & Annika for making such an infomative website on Switzerland.

Request anybody to help me with my plans as mentioned below –

We are a couple planning to visit Swiss for a 4D-3N tour in the end of September 2017. We are coming from Germany and planning to reach Zurich early morning around 8am. Here is the plan :

• Day 1 & night in Zurich & touring the place around it. Night stay in Zurich. Note we will reach Zurinch at around 8.30-9 am.
    • Day 2 – Day tour to Lucerne and places around & then proceed to Interlaken at night for stay.
    • Day 3 – Move around places in and around Interlaken on day tour. Night stay back at Interlaken.
    • Day 4 – Leave for Berne in the morning, roam around & then proceed to take an overnight train to Basel – Cologne.

Expectations : We will like to enjoy the best things of the limited number of places that we can cover. We DO NOT intend to have a continuous-on-the-go kind of a trip. (does the above itinerary look like one ?) We will like to explore the scenic beauty of Swiss with a little bit of city tour. We will definetly like to see the country-side of Switzerland filled with natural beauty & perhaps its mountain tops as well if weather permits. Museums or historical places are a No.

1. Is this itinerary good enough? If yes, which are must visits around Zurich, Lucerne & Interlaken that I should not miss.

2. Above itinerary not feasible or better options can be explored? Please share the same.

3. Please share the approx budget that will be required for the above itinerary. I am a budget traveller.

Note – Swiss rail pass will be taken for the trip.

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 June 2017 at 1:38:29 #865830

Hi Suneal-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

Since you could easily spend a few weeks enjoyably on your itinerary, and, in fact, all of the too few days in any of the places that you named, you probably wish to be selective. For that reason, I suggest that you go to Luzern immediately upon arrival or take your train from Germany directly to Luzern.

Unless you have clearly understood reasons to visit Zürich ( which happens to be my favorite city for cultural reasons) I’d skip it. It is a great city, but not a good destination for a quick visit on your first trip. Luzern has lot more for the first ( or 2nd, or 3rd) time tourist.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich

At the endof September, weather at high altitudes become a small bit more uncertain, but ‘d still try to stay further in near the Jungfrau. Interlaken is a good transit hub, and a poor tourist destination.

Wengen, Mürren, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

<<“We DO NOT intend to have a continuous-on-the-go kind of a trip. (does the above itinerary look like one ?)”>>

Yes.

I’d pick one base- Luzern or the Jungfrau region. If you were to be there for 6 nights. I’d pick two.

However , if you wish to get quick look at several places to guide your next trip, then what you have proposed would work.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 9:57:41 #865831

Thank you for your valuable suggestion Slowpoke & apologies for the late revert.

As suggested, I have decided to arrive directly at Lucerne from Germany via Basel, stay at Lucerne for 3 nights & explore places around from here. However I will still be going be going to Zurich, but that will be a day tour on the last day before I take the train back to Germany from Zurich.

Would you kindly suggest which places are must see while I stay at Lucerne? While I have Mt. Rigi / Mt. Pilatus in my list, will a day visit to Jungfrau & back feasible? Which are the other places around that should not be missed?

Thank you.

PS – I have booked my apartment in the Ebikon suburb of Lucerne. Hence suggest places accordingly.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 13:36:06 #865832

Hi Suneal,

Ebikon is basically downtown Luzern so that won’t make any difference to your plans. 🙂

I agree with trying to see Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Rigi and perhaps a Lake Luzern boat cruise as well (and of course sightseeing around the town itself for 1/2 day or more.

I don’t think Jungfraujoch is feasible as a day trip – it is about 4 hours on the train one-way.

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 July 2017 at 14:27:38 #865833

Hi Suneal –

As Lucas said, it is a long long trip to Jungraujoch and return.

Some have done it and considered it acceptable; the train ride on the Golden Pass route from Luzern to Interlaken Ost is scenic.

You would need to be sure of clear weather at the Jungfrau. If you get all the way up there and only look at the inside of a cloud, it is an expensive trip to see not too much. 😉

The timetable will help you understand that. Including 14 minutes from Ebikon and 5 minutes to change trains at Zürich Hbf, it is a 4 hour 26 minute trip.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

If you leave Ebikon at 0744, you arrive at Jungfraujoch at 1205.

0837->1305

0933->1405.

So, as you can see it is possible, although you will likely return after dark. In late September, sunset is at about 1930.

<<“will a day visit to Jungfrau & back feasible?”>>

You have to decide if the “possible” is “feasible.”

Not sure of schedules, but you might be able to go effectively after the Jungfrau from Bern to Basel to Köln.

Use the timetable to check it out.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 19:45:02 #865834

Thank you for your replies Lucas & Slowpoke.

Looks like I will have to drop Jungfraujoch from my list as it definitely looks not “feasible” & park it for some other time. I hope either of the peaks of Titllis, Pilatus or Rigi will give me an experience similar to Jungfraujoch, isn’t it or no?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 July 2017 at 21:02:15 #865835

Hi Suneal –

<<“I hope either of the peaks of Titllis, Pilatus or Rigi will give me an experience similar to Jungfraujoch, isn’t it or no? “>>

Lucas gave you links for the Rigi and Pilatus.

Here is one for Titlis:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis

All of the mountains are different from each other, and the Jungfrau is in the midst of a large region with many peaks, trails, lifts, trains, towns, etc.. However, Titlis is definitely a bit more like the Jungfrau region than is Pilatus or, certainly, the Rigi.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘4-day trip Zurich-Lucerne-Interlaken on a budget’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.