5 day in swiss – 4 day swiss flexi pass suitable?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2014 at 23:12:00 #806392

1) We plan to travel swiss in June 2014 for 5 days, 2 adults and 20m baby. I guess 4 day swiss flexi pass would be better to order? As one day we plan to just cover Jungfrau mountain and I heard with flexi pass – between active days still we can get 50 % for Jungfrau mountain. As we would be staying near interlaken station so would be easy to make use of one day(between active day) to Jungfrau mountain with less other train/bus travel. And rest 4 day we plan to cover swiss cities from Interlaken. Please advise if this works? or we should go for any other pass?

2) Also I need help in planning rest 4 days. We are arriving at Geneva airport and departing from Basel airport. And we are staying all nights in Interlaken . We would like to cover glacier express in this trip. Please advise how to fit glacier express trip in one day from Interlaken?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 May 2014 at 12:09:41 #840060

Hi askanju, and thanks for posting here,

1) A 4-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass it a good choice. Indeed you can purchase discounted tickets to the Jungfraujoch on a non-free travel day. The trip to the Jungfrau is 50% discounted to Wengen or Grindelwald, and 25% off from there. Flexi Pass prices are listed on the Swiss Railways website. Further details are on our pass page. Whether another pass is cheaper can be checked as explained here.

2) You can’t do the entire Glacier Express on one day from Interlaken. Do this in a relaxed way, one should spend the night in Zermatt and St. Moritz, or nearby. From Interlaken, you can only do part of it and it would still be a long day. I would not recommend that with a young child. Rather look into the Golden Pass line. You can easily cover that while traveling from Geneva to Interlaken (southern section) and from Interlaken to Basel (northern section).

You may be aware, but just in case: taking young children to high altitudes could be hazardous to their health, as explained on the Jungfraujoch page. Please check that before going.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2014 at 16:49:03 #840061

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your quick response. Its really helpful.

I have further question to clarify.

Someone suggested to do half way on glacier express from Brig to Chur. In that case we need to go on direct train from Interlaken to Brig and return from Chur? Will this still be very long day?

What would you suggest about Bernina Express again for single day trip considering base location from Interlaken? Is that feasible?

Thanks for suggesting Golden pass, we plan to cover northern section from Interlaken to Basel.

Thanks for your suggestion, we will check weather condition before visiting Jungfrau.

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 May 2014 at 17:01:41 #840062

Hi askanju,

Glad to help! Doing the Brig to Chur leg of the Glacier Express is possible, but you’re still looking at a 10 hour day trip. That’s really long with a baby I would say, but you can check the timetable and our Glacier Express page for travel and route details, and see if this is feasible for you.

The Bernina Express starts in Chur and goes to Tirano in Italy. This is also too far from Interlaken. See the timetable and Bernina Express page for details. The good news is that there’s plenty to come back for after your trip 😉

My comment about young children and the Jungfraujoch was not weather related. The trains are warm and you can stay indoors up there, so that’s no problem. The issue is the lack of oxygen at that altitude, and the inability of children to express how they feel. Please see the page I referred to. Checking the weather forecast is good in any case, as clouds may block the views which are the main reason to go there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2014 at 0:13:25 #840063

Hi Arno,

Thanks for advise, now we are planning to stay 1 night in Chur to cover GE from Chur to Zermatt. Hopefully it reduces our overall travel time. And rest 3 nights in Interlaken.

Yup..probably we can experience Bernina Express on our next trip to Swiss, this is our 2nd trip to swiss 😉

I got your point, how about Schilthorn will that be safer compared to Jungfrau?

Annika
    7121 posts
    29 May 2014 at 8:52:17 #840064

That sounds great! Regarding the Schilthorn: that’s only a little bit lower than the Jungfraujoch (see the Schilthorn page). You’d better ask your doctor what’s save for your child. Without that information there are still plenty of lower viewing points to go to: Brienzer Rothorn, Niesen, Schynige Platte, for example.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2014 at 2:40:32 #840065

Hello,

I have another query for Mt. Titlis, we plan to visit either on 11th june or 12th june. But on their website they have mentioned about maintenance work in June- Chairlifts Trübsee – Jochpass -Engstlen -28 April – 13 June 2014 (http://www.titlis.ch/en/ski-resort/fahrplan-sommer). Does that means we can’t take chairlift from mountain station to either the glacier park for snow rides or to suspension bridge for cliff walk?

Annika
    7121 posts
    6 June 2014 at 19:17:40 #840066

Hi askanju,

You won’t be needing the chairlift to the Jochpass for a trip to the Titlis, so no problem.

• The thread ‘5 day in swiss – 4 day swiss flexi pass suitable?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.