5 days in Lucerne/Interlaken

5 days in Lucerne/Interlaken

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
globetrotter2528
globetrotter2528
4 posts
Apr 7, 2013 - 10:56 PM
Hello experts,

My greetings to all. I am planning to visit Switzerland at the end of May and would like to shape up my itinerary.
I will be staying 2 days in Lucerne and 3 days in Interlaken. Can you please advise me on places to see/visit.?

From my limited knowledge I have come across Lake Lucerne (including the boat ride), Mount Rigi, Mount Pilatus and Jungfrau excursion as must to do. Can you please suggest as to which places and when to visit?

Thanks. :-)
Annika
Annika
4355 posts
expert &
Apr 8, 2013 - 1:24 PM
Welcome globetrotter2528! Well, you pretty much summed up the highlights I'd recommend :-). Some further tips: the traffic musuem and glacier garden in Lucerne, boat trips over the lakes Lucerne, Thun and Brienz and a large amount of stunning viewing points in the Jungfrau region (consider First, Männlichen, Schynige Platte, Brienzer Rothorn, and so on. Most of them will have their seasonal start by end May/beginning of June). This list may provide some more ideas, including bad weather alternatives.

Depending on your final itinerary, a rail pass will help you save money. Here are some guidelines to start off with.

In case you're still looking for hotels: centrally located ones, near the railway stations, are listed here for Lucerne and here for Interlaken.
globetrotter2528
globetrotter2528
4 posts
Apr 9, 2013 - 11:24 AM
Thanks so much for your reply. I will look into the links you provided in detail. :-)

I am planning to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card as it will cover at least 50% of all rides including Jungfrau as well. I will be going to Paris from Interlaken and was planning to take the TGV train for that. The train which I am looking at is at 6.32am leaving from Interlaken West station (train 1060) to Bern and then from Bern To Paris. The transfer time at Bern is only 6 minutes. Is it advisable to take such a connection? Is the 6 minute time sufficient at Bern to make a transfer. How long does it take?

6:32AM
Interlaken West

7:23AM
Bern

0hr51min

http://www.raileurope.com/img/logo-icons/TIC.png Train 1060

TRANSFER: 6 min

7:29AM
Bern

12:11PM
Paris Gare Lyon

4hr42min

http://www.raileurope.com/img/logo-icons/TGL.png TGV Lyria 9284

Thanks.
- Riddhish.
Annika
Annika
4355 posts
expert &
Apr 10, 2013 - 2:30 PM
Hi riddish. The train to Paris leaves from the other side of the platform on which you arrive, so 6 minutes shouldn't be a problem. If you don't feel comfortable, you can also choose to leave Interlaken as early as 06:05 am, providing you with 40 minutes to change trains at Basel. But again, that shouldn't be necessary.
globetrotter2528
globetrotter2528
4 posts
May 10, 2013 - 8:26 PM
Thanks do much Arno. That was quite helpful. :-)

- Globetrotter2528
globetrotter2528
globetrotter2528
4 posts
May 10, 2013 - 8:29 PM
I am planning to buy the Swiss Half fare card. For the Jungfrau tour do I need to pay half or the complete fare.
Also where do I buy the Jungfrau tour tickets from ? Does it require an advance booking (in case it gets too full), or can I buy the tickets after reaching Switzerland and buying my Half fare card from there?

Thanks.

- Globetrotter2528
Arno
Arno
7339 posts
expert &
May 11, 2013 - 12:11 PM
Hi,

You''ll get a 50% discount on the Jungfrau. Pre-booking is not necessary. You can get the tickets at any local rail station. You can download the map from the Swiss Half Fare Card page. It shows the covered network in detail.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016