5 days Swiss trip with Basel as base location

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2016 at 7:19:45 #808512

Dear All Experts,

We are a group of 5 people (including 6 yr old child and my parents). In first week of May, would like to visit places like Mt. Titlis, Interlaken Jungfraujoch and Bern/Zurich if possible.

I have an option to make Basel as my base location as I have friends working and residing there at 15 min. tram ride from Basel station..

From Basel using IC trains, how easy or hectic it would be to do 1-day return trip each to Lucerne+Mt. Titlis, Zurich/Bern and then 1 or 2 Night stay in a hotel in Engelberg/Interlaken (for Jungfraujoch).

Having a base location can save us from checking-in/out of hotels with luggage,kid,sr. citizens and some $$ on hotel stay. But definitely the time and money spent in commuting,tkts is a factor.

Do you think it is workable plan or I should stay in Interlaken/Engelberg and Lucerne for 2 nights each instead of to/fro from Basel.

My trip would be more on relaxing and sightseeing, have a kid and parents so adventure sports is not possible.

After all these I would want to go to Paris for 1 or 2 nights and then depart for my Country from Paris CDG.Eagerly waiting for any suggestions, feedbacks.

TIA,

Gaurav

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 March 2016 at 6:29:45 #848892

Hi Gaurav, welcome to MySwissAlps,

Your day trips will take a lot of traveling. Bern and Zurich are a 1 hour train ride away, so that’s doable. But Mount Titlis will take about 3h00 to reach from your residence, and Jungfraujoch 4h45. Please check the timetable for specifics.

If you don’t mind the traveling it might be an option to visit all locations from Basel, except for Jungfraujoch as that’s too far for a day trip (at least I think so). You could spend two nights in Interlaken, or in the mountains (e.g. Grindelwald) to do that day trip. That way you get to spend a bit more time in the Alps, as Basel is not in the Alps.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 March 2016 at 1:51:25 #848893

In addition to Arno’s comments, which are right to the point, this map may be helpful:

map.search.ch/?x=-34280m&y=60432m&z=2

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2016 at 9:41:41 #848894

Thanks for your valuable inputs Arno, I will definitely consider a stay in Lucern region as well.

Thank you Slowpoke for sharing the map as well.

On the travel cost side, Just wanted to know if Swiss travel passes are ‘date-bound’ and where to buy them from , if on line then any specific site which provide offers, or purchasing in CHF @ stations/@airport itself would be more economical.

Consider the group size of 4 adult and a 6.5 yr child, which specific pass type would you guys recommend for us considering in-between travel between these cities : Luzern + Mt. , Interlaken + Mt. , Zurich, Basel and Bern in these 4-5 days. I am also planning to visit Paris for 2 days.

Thanks,

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 March 2016 at 10:48:25 #848895

Hi Gaurav,

As you’ll travel a lot, the Swiss Travel Pass is the best option. A 4-day pass may fit your plans if you can limit your traveling the first or last day. Not sure what you mean by “date-bound”. One buys a pass for a particular date, and it allows 4 days of traveling from that day on. If you check the Swiss Travel Pass page at myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass you will find all details about where to buy, current offers, how it works and what’s included. The child travels for free with the Swiss Family Card, which you can request while ordering.

Currently the best option is to go to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en and select “Online Ticket” when the delivery options are presented. That allows you to print the passes at home and immediately start traveling upon arrival; so it saves time too.

For tickets to Paris, please look here: myswissalps.com/ traintickets/france.

• The thread ‘5 days Swiss trip with Basel as base location’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.