5 days trip in Switzerland, which rail pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2016 at 12:06:30 #808226

Hello,

I am planning for a 5 days family trip in Switzerland, during month of April,2016. I am flexible to change my dates till end of June’16. I am travelling with my family of 3 (2 adults + 1 four yr old child).

I will be arriving and departing from zurich airport and planning to stay at grindelwald for 3 days and Lucerne 2 days. Main attractions I am interested in visiting are Jungfrau top, Grindelwald First, Trummelbach Falls, Mt.Titlis, Scenic Rail journeys, any other areas with snow. I am not interested in skiing.

I seek some advice in choosing the right rail pass for my trip.

Thank You!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    3 January 2016 at 11:48:41 #847412

Hello rajthakur, welcome to our forum!

First of all, note that First won’t open until May. If your travel dates are flexible, you may want to plan your trip in May for that reason. Our season overview may also help you to pick the month you prefer.

Which pass is best, can only be decided once you have a finalized list of plans, including all details. Calculations can be made as explained here. I’d say you should look into the Swiss Half Fare Card, which may turn out to be the cheapest solution. You could compare it with a 4 or 8 day Swiss Travel Pass. If your plans won’t change a lot I doubt whether that’s more economical, but it’s generally the most convenient option.

Does that get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 January 2016 at 12:16:52 #847413

Hello Annika,

Thanks for your response. My dates are flexible. Here is my high level itinerary.

1) DAY 1- Zurich to Lucerne by train- If time/weather permits visit Mt. Titlis- back to hotel

2) DAY 2 – Boat trip from Lucerne to Meggen, visit Chapel Bridge,Swiss Transport Museum, local shopping, head back to hotel.

3) Day 3- Head for Grindelwald. Take train via Luzern – Meiringen – Interlaken – Grindelwald (3.5 hrs scenic???).Post check in-walk around and visit near by places (need to explore)

4) Day 4- Visit Mt.Jungfrau, head back to hotel.Evening at leisure or an evening walk.

5) Day 5 -Paragliding/Trummelbach Falls, Grindelwald First (explore other options)

6) Apr 6 – End of tour- Head back from Grindelwald to Zurich Airport. It time permits, some sightseeing in Zurich.

From the season overview link you shared, it seems March can still be an option.In that case, would it better to plan my visit in late March (during Easter) or wait until First week of June?

Annika
    7115 posts
    3 January 2016 at 13:49:10 #847414

Hi rajthakur,

My personal preference would be an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass for the itinerary you described, as it’s more convenient. You’ll find all details on our Swiss Travel Pass page. But as mentioned, you should calculate and compare it with a Swiss Half Fare Card to tell if it’s the most economical option.

Sure, March is an option too. It all depends on what you prefer: a more wintry landscape like in March, Spring in April/May or the beginning of Summer in June. Opening dates for attractions, as mentioned, may be decisive as well. In your travel scheme, the Trümmelbach Falls and First are the main ones to consider. The rest is available all year.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 January 2016 at 17:51:37 #847415

Hey Annika,

Thanks again for your advise. If I may request your further guidance. ..what if I drop these (Trümmelbach Falls and First) off the plan? Are there any other activities or sight seeings (approachable by public transport) in area around Grindelwald during first week of April. As stated, I am planning to stay there for 3 N/4D. Jungfrau is the main attraction which I do not want to miss. with 3 days in hand , I hope that wish can be fulfilled.But with other things falling off, can I still make my stay exciting? Please note, I have a 4yr kid. How about Sledding/similar activities, can they be done by a first timer ? Appreciate your valuable suggestions. Thank You and Sorry, if my questions are going off the original context.

Annika
    7115 posts
    4 January 2016 at 13:51:43 #847416

Hi rajthakur!

You can check timetables for most attractions in the Jungfrau region at http://www.jungfrau.ch. The Jungfraujoch is accessible all year round. Winter sports activities like sledding and snowtubing won’t be widely available in April, as winter season is over by then. But you shouldn’t worry: generally, regular train and cable car rides and other activities like the ones you’ve already planned are fun for kids too. Some additional tips for kids can be found at http://www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2016 at 14:30:30 #847417

Thank You So Much, Annika.My plan is now in much better shape , thanks to all your suggestions. Much Appreciated!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2016 at 21:02:24 #847418

Hey Annika,

Wanted to double check on this…As you may know, I would be travelling from Zurich Airport to Lucerne on Day1 and on Day6, I have to travel from Grindelwald to Zurich Airport. My question is – does Swiss Travel Pass cover these fares ? I mean will they be free?

Thank You!

Arno
    15478 posts
    6 January 2016 at 7:49:43 #847419

Hi rajthakur,

Sure, all trains in Switzerland are covered. You can download the network map to see all the details. Just click to “Where it’s valid” on the Swiss Travel Pass page Annika referred to in her first post.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2016 at 17:28:00 #847420

Thanks for the response. I am still skeptical about Grindelwald as my second base, considering the fact that First will be closed during April 1st week. So I am still open for suggestions on my base2. As mentioned, I am looking for 5n/6d tour and main attractions which I do not want to miss are Mt.Titlis & Jungfraujoch. Will there be any other places to make as base2, so that I can cover Jungfraujoch and have equal fun during other days of my stay. Thank You!

Arno
    15478 posts
    9 January 2016 at 18:24:05 #847421

Well, you can consider nearby Interlaken. It’s not nearly as scenic as Grindelwald, but you can easily reach Jungfraujoch from there, and it has excellent train services to the entire Bernese Oberland. You’ll be very flexible when staying there.

Please see:

• The thread ‘5 days trip in Switzerland, which rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.