5 days trip to swiss with parents

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2013 at 9:07:26 #806127

Hello
    me and my husband, we are planning 5 days trip to swizerland for 4 nights 5 days with our parents .we are planning to start our journey on 31 august we would reach swiss by 2 pm and we would leave swiss by 4 .00 -5.00 pm for travelling back to nürmberg.
    we are interested in pilatus, Rhine fall and montreaux and as per the information received lucerne would be convenient place to stay.
    can you please help us plan our trip covering the places mentioned above and if any other places near by can also be covered? And considering my parents cant walk much which would be better rail pass we should buy.
    we stay in germany nürmberg.
    poonam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    31 July 2013 at 6:04:34 #839105

Welcome mipoohkan. Lucerne would indeed be a good base. Hotels close to the railway station can be found here. You can plan all your trips with the aid of the timetable. Simply enter Lucerne as your departure station and any arrival station you’re looking for (you can even enter Nürnberg or Pilatus, etc.) for details on all available connections. Here‘s how to get to the Rhine Falls.

If you’re staying in Lucerne, you can also consider a boat trip over the lake, a visit to the Rigi or (in bad weather) the Traffic Museum in Lucerne.

Your plans aren’t fixed yet, and some longer trips are involve (e.g. to Montreux), so I suggest a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass. As you’re visiting 5 days, you can’t use your pass on either the first or last day of your stay and you’ll have to buy regular tickets that day. But if only the trip Swiss border-Lucerne is involved on one of these days, that’s no problem. If you include your country of residence and let me know how long in advance you’re staying in Nürnberg, I can be more specific your best purchase options.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2013 at 18:17:33 #839106

Hallo Annika,

Thanks for your response. We are in Nürnberg since last 6 months.
    Can you help us fixing our itinerary.
    My tentative travel plan looks like below :
    aug 31 : reach lucerne around 14:00 hours. We would use this half day for walk around the old town and lake .
    1st Sep: Start early morning and buy Swiss saver pass. We would make golden round trip to Pilatus. As per lucerne Website it should take us around 6 hours. Rest of the time would be used to explore more of lucerne. Do you have any other suggestions for rest of the day. Are there flea markets at Kreins on Saturday?
    2nd Sep. golden rail to Montreaux visit chateau de chillon On return take normal fast train to Geneva. Spend evening near lake and old time in geneva.
    3.sep : Zurich or Rhine falls
    4 sep : zurich or rhine falls and back to nürnberg late evening.

Do you think this is a good plan or are there better options. I look forward to your suggestions. My Parents are visiting us and they are in Germany since last 45 days.

Mipoohkan

Annika
    7121 posts
    1 August 2013 at 12:23:25 #839107

Hello mipoohkan. I think most of your plans look fine. One thing I would change is that the Lucerne region is wonderful and maybe deserves some more exploration than one day only, especially in good weather. A boat trip over the lake or a trip to the Rigi (both for free with your Swiss Saver Pass) are great options. You may be able to plan this on either September 3 or 4. The afternoon of September 1 can best be spent in Lucerne (old town, Glacier Garden, traffic museum) or on the lake.

The trip for September 2 might be a bit too long. Note that the Golden Pass connection takes about 5h30, and that the quickest connections back from Geneva to Lucerne take 2h45 to 3h00. Did you check travel times using the timetable I mentioned? If you’re fine with such a travel scheme, you’re good to go of course!

You can indeed buy your pass in Lucerne. Ordering online here and having it shipped to your address in Nürnberg or your hotel address in Lucerne is an option too. In case you’re still looking for hotels near the railway station: they can be found here.

• The thread ‘5 days trip to swiss with parents’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.