5 nights June itinerary in Switzerland help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 11:50:48 #811519

Hi,

First, I’d like to say that the experience I had in just preparing this itinerary is amazing, actually experiencing it, would be even more exciting, thanks to this forum…

I’m planning for my 5 nights trip to Switzerland in late June; 2 adults and 2 children (14Y and 12Y) and here below is my proposed itinerary:

Day 1: (after half a day travel) landing to Zurich, take the train to Interlaken to spend two nights. Same day of arrival to have a cruise in Lake Thun, and have a good dinner at night

Day 2: Visit to The Jungfraujoch – Top of Europe (left it like this, can I do more this day?)

Day 3: head to Luzern via the Gold Pass line

Check in the hotel, and leave for the trip to Stanserhorn

Day 4: go to the Nestle Chocolate Factory in Broc (regular train, not the chocolate train as it takes much longer time) I couldn’t find entry fees for the Factory – also, how does it work, enter as arrive, or planned groups to enter at specific times? Please help here

Day 5: leave Luzern to Zurich and visit Rhine Falls (please suggest what else can be done in combination of Rhine falls)

Day 6: Leave Zurich

A general question on Transportation; is it better to get a 8D STP, or the Half-fare card is economically better? In both cases, do both cover all the above (same benefit on the Jungraujoch and Stanserhorn Cable car/funicular)?

Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 17:28:21 #862039

Hi adesouky and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Lets have a look at your ideas:

Day 1: Perhaps it is simpler to combine the dinner and the boat cruise in Lake Thun? You may not have time otherwise depending on your arrival time to Interlaken.

Day 2: I would probably leave only Jungfraujoch as your activity on this day. If you get an early start there are other options you could fit into this day if you want – see here.

Day 3: looks good

Day 4: You can find more details on the chocolate factory (Cailler) here, including prices. Tours are available but not required.

Day 5: After you visit the RheinFall you could head back to Zurich and explore the town or lake.

I think I would lean to getting the Swiss Travel Pass. It will cover all train trips fully except it offers a discount only on the train between Grindelwald or Wengen and Jungfraujoch. The Swiss Half Fare Card gives you 50% off all train routes that you take (and you must buy tickets for each trip). With the Swiss Travel Pass you can buy online here, and then print at home and you are ready to travel!

With either rail pass above you can get the Swiss Family Card (free add-on at time of purchase) which covers both children fully on all routes (including Jungfraujoch).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 17:39:31 #862040

Thanks Lucas. I appreciate the advice. My question here is, if I get the STP, I have to buy the 8Days one! Would you still prefer this over the half fare card?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 18:03:27 #862041

I think so….The Swiss Travel Pass 8 day is 376chf for everything except Stanserhorn and the route between Grindelwald or Wengen and Jungfraujoch. The Swiss Half Fare Card is 120 chf plus 50% of the ticket price for every train and boat etc that you take on your trip. With the Swiss Travel Pass it is printed out at home and you never have to think about tickets again (except for what I just mentioned) just hop on trains, buses on most boats and go!

In the end to be 100% sure you can do the math here – excel sheet will be useful as well. 🙂

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 1:12:32 #862042

Thanks Lucas. Will use the STP 8D then.

udayaditya
    Participant
    55 posts
    24 April 2017 at 13:47:02 #862043

Hi

Is not the entry to chocolate factory at Broc Fabrique free with STP?

Udayaditya

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 16:21:53 #862044

Hi Udayaditya, Yes it is!

• The thread ‘5 nights June itinerary in Switzerland help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.