5 nights in Luzern late August – itinerary help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 12:43:08 #812047

Hi, I am Aiyaz from UK, I am planning a trip to Switzerland from 23 aug to 28 aug 2017, I have booked a hotel in Lucerne, hence I will be traveling to different places while staying at the same hotel (spatz) in Lucerne,My travel plan is as follows:

Day 1-travel to lucerne from zurich airport-doing lucerne city trip and Mt. Pilatus

Day2- Mt. Titlis and Rigi Mountain

Day3- Zurich city and Rhine falls

Day 4- Glacier express whole day tour

Day 5- bern city tour + ?? (not decided yet if you can recommend any place)

Day 6- visit to the chocolate factory in lucerne and transport museum and travel to zurich airport in the evening

I did a mistake of booking a hotel at one place, which I cannot cancel now otherwise i would have spend some time in Geneva, also I have 2 small kids hence will not explore hiking or any sports activity, please provide your valuable feedback or you can recommend any other places to visit in will be great help, also would like to know how the weather will be during that time…..

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 17:18:31 #864251

Hi Aiyaz and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It looks like you have a good itinerary planned!
    Day 5 – Bern is a nice town and worth a visit – perhaps 1/2 a day normally, but with young children perhaps that is enough! You could then come back to Luzern and take a lake cruise?

Note day 4 will be quite long to get do the Glacier Express and get back to Luzern! Use the Swiss railways timetable to help you plan out this trip.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 17:58:00 #864252

Thanks for your prompt reply lucas..

Is it worth it to board the Glacier express, or the bernina express or can we plan something else, what would you advice, and from where do i need to take these trains if i am starting from lucerne, may be we could get down half a way and return back ( which are the routes that we can see the best seanery)

Also is it possible to do the geneva lake and then bern city tour in 1 day

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 8:23:31 #864253

I wouldn’t try and visit Bern and Geneva on the same day. I think Bern is the nicer option (and closer!).

The simplest section of the Glacier Express to do from Luzern is from the town of Andermatt on to Zermatt and then return on a regional train. The Bernina Express is not a train route that can really be done from Luzern (it ends in Tirano, Italy).

There are two other trains that you can do much more easily from Luzern. The first is the Gotthard Panorama Express which starts with a boat ride on Lake Luzern, then a train to Lugano.

The 2nd option is the Golden Pass route which you can also start in Luzern (ending in Montreux on Lake Geneva). Have a read through about those two trains – they may offer what you are looking for and much simpler to accomplish from Luzern!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2017 at 20:36:51 #864254

thanks Lucas you have a great help

• The thread ‘5 nights in Luzern late August – itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.