5 nights Zurich – Lucerne – Interlaken 3-8 July

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2016 at 2:03:04 #808589

Hi, we are a family of 5 travelling with our kids, all boys aged 19, 18 and 13. I am planning a trip to Switzerland from 3 July to 8 July for 5 nights from UK. Our interests are to do some shopping and admire some of the scenic views of Switzerland, with some basic hiking and one or two adventurous activities for the kids. My initial plans are the following

1. Arrive Zurich on 3 July in noon and travel to lucerne by train on that day. As this is a Sunday, I note shops are closed on Sundays in Zurich so we were thinking of leaving the last day to browse Zurich and do some shopping.

2. Stay in Lucerne for 1 night . Depending on what activities there are in lucerne. Or should we just skip lucerne and head straight to interlaken?

3. Interlaken for 2 to 4 nights depending if we will skip our stay in Lucerne We are thinking of doing some rafting, viewing the scenic views, basic hiking to view the scenes and go to some tourist attractions, go on some cable cars. We note the scenes in Wengen and the valley in lauterbrunnen are amazing. Would also like to do a boat trip in the evening. Any suggestions that you believe will be enjoyable for teenagers as we don’t want the boys to feel bored on this trip!

4. We are planning to return to Zurich for shopping on Thursday morning on 7 July and staying for the night and will return to London on Friday evening. Our flight back is at 7pm

Any suggestions and advice for our first trip to Switzerland are most welcomed!

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    12 March 2016 at 13:39:12 #849275

Hi Carmen6863, thanks for joining us!

Spending your last day in Zurich is a good choice, if you like to do some shopping. Whether or not you spend a night in Lucerne is really up to you. There’s plenty to see and do; please check our Lake Lucerne page. Your boys may like the toboggan run and rope park halfway up Pilatus, for example.

On the other hand: spending a night in Lucerne will result in an additional hotel check-in and check-out procedure, and the Interlaken region will keep you busy for days, as it has a very varied offer of outdoor sports and adventurous activities, plus lots of beautiful mountain tops and scenic rides. Please see our Interlaken page for an overview of activities and hiking suggestions. It includes paragliding, rafting and canyoning.

If you intend to focus on this region, exluding Lucerne, it would be good to look into the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland or the Jungfrau Travel Pass. A Zurich Card may be of help for your last day.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 March 2016 at 0:08:21 #849276

Hi Carmen-

Annika has said it clearly. You can easily spend the time in the Jungfrau region (not at Interlaken itself) , and if you like to walk or hike, there are some spectacular opportunities at all levels of difficulty. And, the activities that she mentions would be enjoyable for your boys, I suspect.

Staying at Wengen, Grindelwald or Mürren is a spectacular experience. Interlaken is more of a transfer/accomodation town. Certainly, staying at one hotel saves check in/ check out and transfer time.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

On the other hand, you could even spend the whole trip in Luzern and nearby, quite effectively.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

I think you might possibly consider two nights in Luzern as an effective option. There is a lot to do. But, however you do it, you can fill your time with a lot of activities, including some that will, perhaps, tire out the teenagers a bit. 😉 I suspect that looking at scenery will not hold their interest very long. 😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘5 nights Zurich – Lucerne – Interlaken 3-8 July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.